Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

homesick and sad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

So as the title suggests - i'm homesick and sad. I recently moved overseas with my partner of seven years and it I am really unhappy. It's cold, the people are miserable, and everything is 1 million times harder than where I used to live. We moved over here because my partner got a job offer and he had to take it.

I thought my unhappiness might have been because I was unemployed and broke. But now that I have a job, it's not any better. Also, my new job is not suited to me at all but I had to take it because I was running out of money.

I don't know how to shake this feeling of impending doom. My partner, friends and family are tired of hearing about it but I just can't stand living this way. I'm frustrated and annoyed a lot of the time. And to make it worst, I'm stuck here for another year and a half. It seems like such a waste of my life.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hey farawayandsad,
    Sorry to hear the move abroad hasn't been straightforward. I'm wondering how your partner feels about living abroad, does he enjoy this place? Does he understand how you feel?
    I know when I moved abroad I looked out for either expats groups or new in town groups to meet other people in a similar situation to try and get new friends - or if you could meet people through a new hobby?
    It can be really lonely, but I've found getting out there and trying to meet new people did at least help.
    I was also going to say that you could perhaps you could think of things from home that you really enjoy doing (like watching a certain film) or food and watch/eat it - sometimes that can help keep the homesickness at bay.
    I hope this helps.