Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Friend/more than friend boundaries?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I was having another weird thought the other day and got chatting to someone about it, then it made me wanna ask you guys...

In terms of physical interaction, where is the line (for you) between a friend and more than a friend? By this I mean hand holding, type of hug/cuddle, maybe a peck on the cheek, that kind of thing. Some people are more tactile than others and some are more comfortable with that sort of thing, partner or not!

Just curious to your thoughts. :)

Comments

• Options
    Well that's an interesting question :chin:
    I think for everyone it will differ. In some countries, pecking on the cheek is fairly standard between friends!

For me, I will go so far as hugging mostly. Cuddling maybe?? If I've known them a while and it's absolutely 100% platonic and there's no possibility or sense of flirtatiousness there. Then again, maybe my answer is a bit biased because I am in a relationship and have a mindset of "my SO is who I like to cuddle/hold hands with/kiss and it's reserved for them."
  • Options
    Hey Lammity,

Cheers for the reply! I would have to agree (pretty much exactly) with what you said. Though I have to say I'm not opposed to a peck on the cheek either. :)

There's maybe a more interesting thing to think about - would this differ between single people and those in a relationship? If so, how much? Hmmm. :chin:
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think it depends on the person.

My best friend is so touchy-feely he is commonly mistaken for being my boyfriend because we hug a lot (more than I hug my girlfriend, probably) - I don't mind it at all, but I know others feel it can be quite full on.

When I've been in France I always forget and feel slightly taken aback when people I only vaguely known lean in for bises, and I think I'm definitely less touchy feely than my friend is - but I can deal with it. I know some people who don't like being touched find he goes too far!

So my boundaries - probably at hugging if I know them, but I can make exceptions!
  • Options
    Hello Mikes! :)

Nice to hear from you again!

From my observations, I would say that friendship's (physical) boundaries are such as hugging and kisses on the cheek. But I also agree with others saying that people vary when it comes to this (some are definitely more touchy than others). However, if you do more than hugging & a peck on the cheek, it means that your relationship is on the next level. :)