Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would anyone like some advice? (PTSD, depression and self harm)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, if anyone would like some advice on how to cope with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or severe depression and self harming, I can offer some advice from my recovery so far and what has helped. Anyone who needs help or advice on abusive relationships too or how to cope with past abuse can also ask as I have recovery experience from that too and I am more than happy to help others who are struggling *hug*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey NishaTiree and welcome to TheSite :) This place is all about sharing experiences and helping each other so I'm sure your life experience will be useful to other members and visa versa. If you had some advice for someone coping with depression or self-harming what would it be? I wonder what some of the key things you feel you have learnt along the way have been?

Great to have you on board :thumb:
    My advice would be to start with, talk to someone you trust, being mentally ill doesn't make you weak, it makes you strong to cope with life with those extra hurdles. If talking doesn't work for you, find a coping strategy that does, I found art, music and singing were helpful and expressive coping strategies. There are many groups too that can help and you can find local groups to help you and others like you, it may help you meet people who understand and it may help you cope. Do more of the things that bring you joy or at least comfort, but don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zones, sometimes a new experience can bring you the happiness and the focus you need. For example I joined a drama group and it really helped me to find a practical and constructive and somewhat therapeutic focus.
    Good advice :) what kind of art do you like?
    I like doing portraits in chalk and charcoal and abstract art using various medias :)