Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advice Please?! Housing benefit/rent??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All,

I have joined hoping someone could give me some advice about the above topic as I seem to be going around in circles!!

I am comtemplating moving back home after some time living with friends. My mother is in receipt of DLA and I would be thinking about going back to live with her.

I work full time and she currently receives housing benefit for her full rent. Someone has said that she would be worse off if I move back home and that I would be resposible for paying ALL the rent - which totals more than I pay to share a home with friends at the minute - I wouldn't want to hinder her in any way especially financially as she can struggle as it is......Can anyone advise me on this please?

Kind Regards.
:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey, welcome to the boards.

Its up to u weather u want to move back. If ur worried about DLA I would phone them up :)

Here some links
    www.thesite.org/housing/renting/housing-benefit-9207.html
    If she receives the care component of DLA, there's no non-dependent deduction. So all her rent that's currently paid, will be paid.
    Is she on DLA for life and not being changed over to PIP? https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/how-to-claim

As Melian said if she gets the care component side of DLA it might be fine. I don't have to pay rent towards the house I live in with my brother. My dad also claims care allowance for him though, so that might be a different circumstance.
    She will be changed over to PIP at some point unless she was 65 before April 2013.
    Hey Drew, good to see you signed up here and hopefully we can be of some help.

Thanks for the insight Melian and JavaKrypt :)

I also just wanted to let you know about Turn2Us. Your local CAB is also a good port of call for talking this through and getting some clarity on your individual situation.

How are you feeling about moving back home generally?