Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Medication

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey.

So i went to my doctors after feeling unwell for some time, and she did a blood test, The results came back saying I'm severely Vitamin D deficient, Anemic and my thyroids over-reactive. (Oops) She's prescribed me a LOT of medication which is making me feel extremely unwell and sick, I think this is due to the fact I've taken a lot of overdoses in the past and now the thought of putting pills into my mouth makes me gag.

I can't go back and speak to my doctor as I've now been "discharged" from them as I'm moving shortly. I wondered if you had any advice on either how to raise vitamin D levels without taking medication, or how to take medication without feeling poorly...

Comments

• Options
    You can go back to your doctor up until you actually move and have registered with a new doctor. I think it's important to go and get the side effects checked out because you could be having an allergic reaction or the combination of meds could be a bad mix.
  • Options
    Hi Emmalee :wave:

I agree with Miss_Riot, I think you should go back to your G.P before you move and let them know you have been experiencing side affects and get them to look at your medication. It's not nice to take that many pills but maybe this can be explained to the doctor to see if they have anything alternative for you to take.

Let us know how you get on.

purple_rain
  • Options
    Hey Emmalee

There's some great advice for you here already. I'm sorry to hear you are having a number of health troubles - and it doesn't sound nice taking all of those pills.

I just want to emphasise that GP's are there for you, and their job is to look after you and make you feel better, so please don't feel like you can't go back and speak to them if the need arises.

In the meantime, you might want to have a look at this NHS link around Vitamin D, it has some great advice around sources of Vitamin D that you could introduce into your diet, which you might find useful. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

Hope this helps you out?
  • Options
    If possible, ask if they can put anything into liquid form because my nan said that if i carried on taking the 14 tablets a day i was then my liver would start struggling to cope in breaking it all down, whilst liquid is already done and easier on the liver.

hope the gp sorts everything

hugs xxx
  • Options
    How are you getting on Em?? Have you managed to register with a new GP where you've moved to in Worcester? Did you manage to get to your GP in Bristol and speak to them about the side effects you were experiencing?? Hope they've subsided by now?? Vitamin D deficiency is pretty pants and so is taking a large concoction of pills. It's defo not uncommon to be feeling sick and genuinely yucky when you start taking a lot of new medication. I think you said you were taking Omeprazol?? If not, then you could go and request it from a GP? It's something to take that helps balance your stomach and decreases the nausea. It is pretty good so it should help you. If not, you can ask to try Ranitidine which is another tablet similar to Omeprazol (Gastro stuffs!) as well as an anti-sickness.

Let us know how you're doing *hug*
  • Options
    Hiya,

Is it the side affects of the tablets that's making you feel sick, or the actual process of taking the tablets themselves (as in getting them in your mouth and swallowing them).

I'm really bad for swallowing tablets, as have a very active gag reflex. One trick I've found that really helps is holding the tablet between my front teeth (being very, very careful not to touch it with my tounge as they usually taste vile) and then swallowing it down with a big gulp of juice. That way you don't have to hold it in your mouth first and doesn't stick on tongue or anything. Seems to go down easier too.
  • Options
    Hey sorry haven't replied to your posts invdividually, I went to the doctors again and she said the side effects I had with the Vitamin D tablets we're a side effect of having either too much or not enough calcium in my diet and Vitamin D and Calcium go hand in hand, so she told me to stop taking them.
    I've now been put on some new tablets which have Calcium and Vit D combined, and a different type of medication for my Mental Health stuff, I've been in a lot of pain in my stomach and felt a little sick, I'm not sure if this is a side effect or because I'm 'scared' i guess, of taking tablets..

Scary Monster, I think its the act of taking tablets, because when i have them in my hand I start already feeling sick, and when they're in my mouth, I gag. Just looking at tablets make me want to be sick..
  • Options
    Would it make any difference if you crushed the tablets and took them with something? But you have to check if you can do this. I know that when I'm on, (Lyrica / Pregabalin) I can't do that because it's a capsule, rather than a tablet. Or is a soluble / liquid version an option?