Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety-Coping tips.

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
Hey guys :wave:

In chat tonight we got on the topic of anxiety and I was asked to post this thread, about coping tips. I suffer from anxiety and I just wanted to share some tips that help me when I am feeling anxious. I guess I am also looking for some other tips that others may have found helpful.

I have found calm.com very helpful, I have the app on my phone. Sometimes when I am out and about I just put my headphones in, and listen to the relaxing sounds and calm myself down when I am feeling anxious and on edge.

The calm.com app is free for both android and also iPhone

Something else that helps me is remembering that the feelings will soon move on, even though it's difficult at the time, the feelings will pass and you can get through it. :heart:

Also I have found that going outside helps me, the fresh air helps me calm down, and being outside in general is good for my own mental health.

I have a playlist on my iPod of 'happy' songs or songs that remind me of good memories that I will often to listen to when I don't feel myself, this helps cos I like music and I like the positive memories attached to the songs.

We are all individual so what works for one person may not work for somebody else, however that is what this thread is about, it's a place where we can all share tips and hopefully help others.

Sharing is caring :heart:
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nice one for sharing your tips NanaMonkey, as you say, what works for one person might not work for somebody else but there are some good options here for people to try if they're struggling.

Music can be such a powerful mood influencer (not sure if that's a word!) ;)
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    For me, lying down somewhere quiet and concentrating on my breathing is the most useful. I have one had on my diaphragm and the other on my chest and then breathe in only to my diaphragm. Getting my breathing right really helps.

Another good thing I find is for example Progressive Muscle Relaxation where you concentrate on every muscle in your body, tensing each one top to toe individually. I also do some stretching exercise videos which helps to get my mind off things.

My only other tip is for when you can't easily lie down and concentrate on your breathing or relaxing muscles - to remove yourself from the situation for a wee while. This might just be leaving the room and going to the loo, going for some fresh air or even a walk. Just getting myself away from the situation can be really useful and help me to calm down and perhaps re-evaluate why I feel anxious.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yay for music *dances*

Sent by Sony Xperia