Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Soulmates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I came across an article the other day and it tries to answer what it would be like if everyone had a single soulmate, selected at random. It’s all very tongue in cheek; apparently it would take decades for us to find the one if we spent all day making eye contact with random strangers, but what do you think? Do you think people have one person that they’re destined to find, or do you think relationships are a result of our circumstances?

By the way, I like the Tim Minchin song the article talks about, if you haven’t seen it, it’s here.

Comments

• Options
    I do think everyone has a soulmate, yes. Well I would like to think so anyway. I just haven't found mine yet

Sent by Sony Xperia
  • Options
    I don't think you are born with one person destined to be your soulmate but when you meet someone you can (if you so wish) work back and see how each of your prior experiences have converged to put the two of you at the right place and at the right time to start a relationship.

On the other hand once you have been in a close relationship and it is then lost it can feel like that person was the only person you were meant to be with and that no one else can live up to them.
  • Options
    I don't believe in soulmates... I mean if everybody had one soulmate, what are the actual chances they'll live in your country and speak your language?
  • Options
    The notion of there being a soulmate for one is as superstitious as there being ghosts or a god. It's a construct that makes us feel warm and cozy if we either want to leave a partner (i.e. he is not the soulmate) or having a reason to work through troubles (i.e. THAT person is my soulmate, i must do everything to remedy the issues). Can be helpful, but at the end of the day you are lying to yourself.
  • Options
    I think it's a really interesting thought. I find the idea of soulmates quite a limiting one though. It would be nice to think we could get everything we need from one single person, but I really don't think that's possible. One person can't meet our needs, and it puts an extra layer of stressful perfection onto someone else. I think that's why we have friends - other people we have things in common with to share certain interests with. :)