Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trying to lose weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 15, female and trying to lose a lot of weight.
I'm very self conscious and have been bullied most of my life. I have always been quite chubby but I subconsciously turned to food when my dad moved out as a comfort source.
It's the summer holidays and I realised about 4 months ago that it's my prom next year. I want to feel comfortable and at least pretty when/if I go. So, since I realised this, I have been using MyFitnessPal to track my food intake and exercise I do throughout the day.
In the first month I didn't really understand it all so I was using my allowance on the highest of calories. But after that I went down to the lowest amount of calorie allowance per day. I would still tend to go underneath and eat so it didn't say that I wasn't eating enough when I saved it.
I have never liked the idea of going to a gym. It just doesn't appeal to me. So instead, I would dance for an hour(learning from YouTube) in my bedroom. Or go walking.
On my best days I would be using quite a few calories on exercise.
This is the 4 month now and I haven't seemed to have lost anything. Nothing put on but nothing lost.
What the heck is going on? Is my body just immune to losing weight?

Comments

• Options
    Hey lostangel,

Well done for posting about this, it's clear that you've got a good awareness about your relationship with food which is a really good place to start. You mention being bullied and feeling self-conscious and also turning to food for comfort when your dad moved out. All of these things will contribute to how you feel about food and how you feel about yourself too. Boosting your self esteem overall could be a worthwhile goal to help you feel more comfortable and happy with who you are :)

In terms of losing weight, it sounds like you've got a healthy attitude - being more active through dancing and walking, and thinking more about your daily calorie intake. If you're not seeing any results then it may be worth looking at your diet to make sure what you are eating is a balanced diet. It's also worth making sure that you actually need to lose weight.

The NHS have some good resources on losing weight healthily that you might find useful as well, they have a 12 week plan that you can follow for example: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx

They also have some info that explains what counts as what they call 'moderate-intensity' exercise which is what we should all be doing some of! Here's how they explain it:
    Moderate-intensity aerobic activity means you're working hard enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat. One way to tell if you're working at a moderate intensity is if you can still talk but you can't sing the words to a song.

More info here.

It can be dis-heartening not to see results - I wonder, do you feel that your shape has changed at all even if your overall weight hasn't yet? Are you noticing any difference in how you feel in yourself more generally?

Everyone loses weight at different rates but keeping up with a balanced diet and some regular exercise certainly can't be doing you any harm so I'd encourage you to stick with it even if it's not giving you the results you're after just yet. If you're finding that you're really frustrated then you could also make an appointment with your GP to talk things through and get some advice.

Let us know how you're getting on *hug*
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi lostangel - just one other thing to add is that if you regularly under eat on calories your body may go into starvation mode and actually hold on to weight as it's worried it won't get enough nutrients. I use MFP too and the level they give you is genuinely what you should aim for - below this you may well not lose weight as your body is trying to protect itself.

As Jo says though, great that you're looking to have a healthy lifestyle :) be patient and I'm sure it will pay off.
  • Options
    Thank you guys.
    Cat88, this year I took part in the 'Live Below The Line' challenge to raise money to help remove poverty. During this my body was starved for 5 days as I was only allowed to consume £1 worth of food and drink. Therefore, I know the signs and worries of under eating.
    Jo7, thank you for that link. I will definitely look into it. I guess my tummy may be a bit smaller, but it makes other areas look bigger.
    I have recently got into wearing dresses again, after only wearing jeans for 4 years. After losing a small amount of my tummy, im not feeling as comfortable in these dresses as I was a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    I've put on 1st and 1lb! How is that possible? I've tried exercise, eating more, eating less, dieting, detox and healthy eating. How is this happening?