Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

struggling with paranoia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past few months I've been quite unwell. I'm struggling to cope with basic day to day tasks like getting dressed and cooking food. I'm on a lot of medication and see several mental health workers (who are currently on leave).

I don't feel suicidal but I do feel there is no reason to continue. It has been like this for a long time and it's becoming more and more difficult to pick out reasons to keep trying to stay on track.

My paranoia has been especially bad and it's got to the point where I'm remembering the clothes of people I see in case I have to describe them to the police, checking all round the house for people who've broken in, constantly checking locked doors etc etc.

Just wondering how I can move past this?

Comments

• Options
    It's sounds like things are really tough for you st the minute. Have you thought about going to see your doctor about this? They would be able to point you in the right direction

Also, I don't know if you know but thesite has an online chatroom for both support and general chat. The Times can be found on the live chat page (sorry I can't put the link up as I am on my phone). You may find this useful too
    You're not alone in this :hugs:

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. I have input from lots of different mental health workers and my gp. Normally I see two people a week but this week I'm not seeing anyone due to them being on leave.
  • Options
    Is there no one that you can see instead?

• Options
    No I don't like seeing someone different. To be honest though my mental health team can't do much more, I've been through so many kinds of therapy etc and now they just see me to keep me ticking along I guess. More than anything I think I just want someone who's overcome their problems, I have lots of friends who are ill but I've never seen anyone who's been able to be discharged and be okay and lead a normal life. Losing hope that it'll ever happen.
  • Options
    When you say ill, what do you mean?

• Options
    Psychologically
  • Options
    In what way?

• Options
    I really don't understand how this matters. I'm not detailing my friends conditions it isnt relevant. I wanted some advice but if you don't have any that's fine. I have several diagnosed mental illnesses which I'd prefer not to list because I don't want to be identified.
  • Options
    Okay that's fine ;) just thought you might want to talk about it that's all. I am sorry if I offended you

• Options
    No thank you I'm just looking for advice really or some positive outcomes people have had. As I say my paranoia is very bad and I don't want to discuss in more detail in case of being identified.
  • Options
    No thank you I'm just looking for advice really or some positive outcomes people have had. As I say my paranoia is very bad and I don't want to discuss in more detail in case of being identified.

I'm sorry :/

• Options
    Hey titania,

So it sounds like you're looking for some advice on how to get through this week and manage the paranoia? It must be a jump to be seeing people twice a week and then have a week without that support.

Is there anything you have learned from your therapy so far that you could hold on to, to help you get through the week?

TheSite's info on paranoia has some basic advice, you may have seen this already but if not this one seems the most relevant at this point:
    Do you have any hard evidence to back up your thoughts? This is a tricky one, because if you?re really paranoid you may twist what you?ve seen or heard to confirm your beliefs.

If you?re unsure and you?re worried, talk to someone you trust. Do they think you should be worried? If not, and if you have no evidence, then you may be suffering from some paranoia.

Mind also have an info page on how you can help yourself with paranoid thoughts: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/paranoia/how-can-i-help-myself/#.U9DspbHJX5w

One thing it says is:
    It may help you to make a list of what you feel the ?evidence for the thought? is, and then compare it to a list of what the ?evidence against the thought? is.

Is that something you think you could try?

Your feelings of fear are real even if you may recognise that you're struggling at the moment and that you're feeling paranoid, if talking here helps do tell us more about how your day to day is going? Can distractions be useful at all? Have you got plans to see anyone this week? A friend or family member?

Sending hugs *hug*
  • Options
    P.s I have also updated the title of your thread for you - this can help others who may have experience or advice see what the thread is about :)
  • Options
    Thank you Jo. I will try the evidence thing I think it will be helpful. I'm feeling quite down about myself at the moment which is fuelling the paranoia.
    I'm going on a date on Saturday which I've been really looking forward to, but now I'm freaking out that maybe he only wants to date me so he can hurt me. I couldn't cope with that again. I'm close to cancelling but I'm trying to convince myself not to. in terms of evidence he hasn't done anything that other people would perceive as negative or worrying but maybe I am reading deeper and I can see his real intentions? I don't know.
  • Options
    Hey Titania-summer,

How's things been going?!

Here if you want to chat :)