Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stressed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I've been doing pretty well mental health wise, I'm applying to go back to university in the autumn. My urology problems have finally been sorted, my acne has gone and things were looking up. But now I am not feeling well again, I have been referred to the cancer clinic at the hospital next week and I'm really scared and anxious. I know I'm probably over reacting and it's probably nothing but I'm the worrying type of person and I needed to vent.

Rg

Comments

• Options
    Hey RG!

Long time no see for sure. I am SO glad to read that things are looking up for you in terms of Urology and Acne side of things. Also, i'm really happy for you that you're doing well with your mental health. Yey!!

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling so unwell and stressed though. A referal to the cancer clinic sounds very daunting and scary so it's understandable that you feel scared and anxious. I know there's nothing I can say that will make you feel any better but please try not to worry too much as you could make yourself poorly - kicking things off again. You're not over reacting, it's a scary time for you and it's important that you allow yourself to feel emotions. Cross every bridge if and when you have to though. I do with all my hospital appointments so that I don't spend too much time worrying so much and making myself worse for no reason (i'm not saying you're worrying for no reason but you don't no what's happening yet!) Have you got friends/family that can go with you to appts with you if you don't want to go alone? I'm glad you have us to talk to. You're not alone. Sending you lots of hugs and positive thoughts.

Rach
  • Options
    Hiya,

I was hoping it was you, rather than a similar but slightly different user name. Glad to hear everything has been going so well for you. Sucks about the referral, but like I'm sure everyone has already said to you, most referrals to cancer clinics are to get a confirmation that everything is ok - the pressure is on the health system to make sure they catch cancer early which means you end up with loads of people in the position you are, worrying unecessarily for a few days. On the plus side, it means that people who actually do have cancer can get treatment as soon as possible so it's probably an overall win for society.

You got any plans for the weekend?
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I feel as if I need to be constantly reassured.

As for weekend plans, nothing for Saturday then a Jewish wedding on Sunday if I go. I might just stay home though. I'm in a lot of pain and struggling to eat normal food and to talk for long as it's a mouth problem. And the eating not being great and mood issues have lead me to become sleepy and lethargic. Hopefully it's something really simple though and non-serious. I'm seeing my therapist tomorrow and I have been seeing her long enough to know what she's going to say about it, worrying about something that hasn't happened yet is an expensive insurance policy etc etc.
  • Options
    It's really easy for other people to say reassuring things, but much harder to take on board when you're the one doing the worrying.

If you weren't at least slightly concerned then I'd wonder slightly about your perspective on life.

The symptoms sound like they suck, a lot. Is there anything that you can eat that's not too uncomfortable, or drink maybe that would help keep your energy up? Smoothies can sometimes help get some energy in if you've got a sore mouth, but depends what the soreness is as to whether the acidic fruit irritates it more. Or milk can help. Or using mouthwash straight after eating/drinking.

Whether or not any of those will work for you will depend on circumstances but I figure it's worth throwing the suggestions out from the little bits I picked up from very occasional dental nursing sessions.

Hugs.

The wedding sounds like it could be a good distraction :)
  • Options
    It's really easy for other people to say reassuring things, but much harder to take on board when you're the one doing the worrying.

If you weren't at least slightly concerned then I'd wonder slightly about your perspective on life.

The symptoms sound like they suck, a lot. Is there anything that you can eat that's not too uncomfortable, or drink maybe that would help keep your energy up? Smoothies can sometimes help get some energy in if you've got a sore mouth, but depends what the soreness is as to whether the acidic fruit irritates it more. Or milk can help. Or using mouthwash straight after eating/drinking.

Whether or not any of those will work for you will depend on circumstances but I figure it's worth throwing the suggestions out from the little bits I picked up from very occasional dental nursing sessions.

Hugs.

The wedding sounds like it could be a good distraction :)

Thanks. The wedding was great. I went with a friend who is a doctor and she was very reassuring.

I'm feeling more positive this week mood wise, just got a few more days to wait now.

I have found chocolate soya milk to be easy to drink.
  • Options
    Being stressed about a stressful situation doesn't mean you're getting worse, but it's bloody difficult to have the strength to understand that. I know when I'm stressed and anxious about something I end up fretting that I'm getting ill again, but I'm not. I'm just stressed about a specific thing that is causing me stress.

I'm glad that the wedding was brilliant and you're feeling a bit better this week. And yeah, soya milk can be good stuff to get inside you, especially if you have any sort of potential intolerance to lactose.
  • Options
    Hey RG. Not much to add, but I just wanted to say that it's nice to see you around again and I'm pleased to hear that you're doing well (in some ways) *hug*
  • Options
    Thanks. I think the stupid amount of alcohol I consumed at the wedding has disinfected my mouth a bit, or at least the weird thing looks like its shrinking a little. I have something going beep in my flat and no real idea what it is - it is so annoying and I'm worried the neighbour can hear it so right now I'm focussing my stressing out on that!
  • Options
    About the beeping- try turning your electricity off at the fusebox, and see if the beeping stops. If it does, it'll be something electronic in your house. If it doesn't, it's either something battery-operated or not in your flat.
  • Options
    Are you on a electric or gas meter?? I spent a weekend not being able to figure it out until the power went!

I really hope it all goes well! You're a hell of a lot stronger than you give yourself credit! Huge hugs and I hope that it turns out to not be anything serious!
  • Options
    3 days later and I worked out what the beeping was! So now let's hope for good news tomorrow.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    3 days later and I worked out what the beeping was! So now let's hope for good news tomorrow.

I have to go back for more tests and a biopsy next week. The cancer centre and its staff were really nice though.

I heard yesterday that I got my placement test results for uni and I was really thrilled with my results and I'm feeling quite positive now overall as I'm excited about that.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Congrats on your placement test results RG :)

And good luck with the biopsy and tests this week. I hope they bring good news too.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I have to go back for more tests and a biopsy next week. The cancer centre and its staff were really nice though.

I heard yesterday that I got my placement test results for uni and I was really thrilled with my results and I'm feeling quite positive now overall as I'm excited about that.

How are you RG? Well done you with your results by the way - proud!!
  • Options
    *rach* wrote: »
    How are you RG? Well done you with your results by the way - proud!!

I'm good thanks. I had the biopsy on Friday, it is very painful now as I have stitches in my tongue and eating and drinking hurts a lot. I went to see old friends in Edinburgh this weekend and had a lovely time so that sort of took my mind off it a bit. I get the results on 15th of August at the cancer clinic.

I'm feeling quite positive now :)