Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flip it! Share a worry, find a positive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
FLIP IT!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjgSqqqcrcOpECxf07vSRNq9imev8wZOJWWdoWAYYzlqn09pOz

When something bad happens do you go over and over it in your mind? Is your glass half empty or half full? Maybe you rarely notice the every day achievements and positives that can help to shift your thoughts?

Over time it's actually possible to train your brain to start to see the positives, a few of you are working on positive books right now and the self esteem challenge also helped you to highlight the good things, it's all working on the same kind of logic.

So, the rules!

1. Start noticing your negativity. What are those every day things that get you down? Before it has a chance to spiral, post it in this thread and get it off your chest.

2. Next person to post Flips It into a positive or helps you see the silver lining - you could offer another way of looking at it or some advice to improve the situation. More than one person can have a go at flipping!

3. If the last post was negative you need to try to Flip it before you post your own.

Get it?

Here are a few examples...

:( I totally messed up my exams, just got the results. There goes my first choice uni.
:) You made it through exams! That's an achievement in itself. Let it sink in and then start exploring your second choice, you can still have a great time there.

:( I just bumped into my ex for the first time since we broke up and I made a total fool of myself, I didn't know what to say and it was really awkward.
:)They're your ex for a reason, at least it's out of the way, you'll be better prepared next time.

:( I ruined all my pancakes trying to flip them.
:) I bet they still tasted good :yum:

Ready to give it a go??

:pancake flip:

N.B - Don't forget, this doesn't replace posting your own thread about a situation if you need some more in depth support.

Comments

• Options
    This is a great thread! Going to help so many people!

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Excellent!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    *rach* wrote: »
    Excellent!!!!!!!!

I know this nothing to do with this

Hope ur well not seen u for a while :)
  • Options
    Ooh fun! Ok I've got one to start off with and I'll weigh in on someone else's later.

I'm worried that I'll never get my life sorted, never get an interview for a job I want and be stuck in my crappy job forever
  • Options
    Guess I'll kick this off. Great idea by the way, Jo. :)

My stutter's been going crazy recently. Work's getting to feel like a nightmare with it - customers are the wrong people to deal with at times like this!
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Ooh fun! Ok I've got one to start off with and I'll weigh in on someone else's later.

I'm worried that I'll never get my life sorted, never get an interview for a job I want and be stuck in my crappy job forever

Didn't see your post! Haha. I can bet you most young people have said that at some point. The fact that you've got a job, albeit crappy, shows you can work well and have the qualities you need to hold one down. That's most of what you need, there!
  • Options
    MikeS wrote: »
    Guess I'll kick this off. Great idea by the way, Jo. :)

My stutter's been going crazy recently. Work's getting to feel like a nightmare with it - customers are the wrong people to deal with at times like this!

You're unique. You're not defined by a stutter. You're still getting on with work dispite everything going on and that highlights your determination and strength :) Keep up the hard work
  • Options

As Mike said, you have a job! I'd say that's part of your life sorted even if it's not a job that you really want at the moment. You've got a job interview before. You've passed job interviews before, you can defo do it again for sure. These things DO happen!! Try not to focus on getting your life sorted as a whole, break it down into small, manageable chunks - baby steps!
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I actually have started a thread based on this but long story short, I have fallen out with one of my friends and my other friends are choosing her over me to hang out with and I'm afraid I'm loosing them.
  • Options
    Think James should put his up! :)

• Options
    :( I'm always worried that people are judging me on the way I look

• Options
    I actually have started a thread based on this but long story short, I have fallen out with one of my friends and my other friends are choosing her over me to hang out with and I'm afraid I'm loosing them.

Arguing with friends sucks, no doubt about it. More often than not, true friends will find a way through the rough patches and find each other again. It sounds like some of them are a bit stuck in the middle right now? Maybe give things a few days to calm down and see where you're at. You could think about telling a friend you trust about how you're feeling too. Hang in there! :)
  • Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    :( I'm always worried that people are judging me on the way I look

If you?re in the habit of putting yourself down a lot, you could try making a list of all the things you like about yourself - not just the physical things but your personality traits too. Get a friend to help you if that makes it a bit easier? One thing I've noticed for example, is that you're a great listener :)

We can all feel self-conscious from time to time but more often that not people around you just want to see you happy. Seek out the company of others who help you to feel at ease, make you laugh, or feel inspired :yes:
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    If you?re in the habit of putting yourself down a lot, you could try making a list of all the things you like about yourself - not just the physical things but your personality traits too. Get a friend to help you if that makes it a bit easier? One thing I've noticed for example, is that you're a great listener :)

We can all feel self-conscious from time to time but more often that not people around you just want to see you happy. Seek out the company of others who help you to feel at ease, make you laugh, or feel inspired :yes:

Thanks Jo. I do a lot of self confidence stuff with my counsellor but none of it helps :(

• Options
    vinspired shared this photo on twitter earlier, it made me think of this thread.

v0oKXoV.png
  • Options
    ella! wrote: »
    vinspired shared this photo on twitter earlier, it made me think of this thread.

v0oKXoV.png

This is great!

• Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Arguing with friends sucks, no doubt about it. More often than not, true friends will find a way through the rough patches and find each other again. It sounds like some of them are a bit stuck in the middle right now? Maybe give things a few days to calm down and see where you're at. You could think about telling a friend you trust about how you're feeling too. Hang in there! :)

Thanks Jo. Yeah they are. I have done and yeah I'm annoyed with one of them. Yeah...
  • Options
    I feel like when I try and do the right thing it back fires on me and feel like everyone hates me for it
  • Options
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    I feel like when I try and do the right thing it back fires on me and feel like everyone hates me for it

On the plus side, you have loads of people on here that like you and enjoy your company :)

• Options
    Thank you Becki. I didn't know who was gonna reply back to my message but thank you. Yh I do I suppose.
  • Options
    We wasn't just going to leave you with out a reply ;)

• Options
    Aww thank you BeckI :) ur kind lol.
  • Options
    Thank you :)

• Options
    I'm feeling lonely and I'm really missing one of my carers who has gone on holiday

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I'm feeling lonely and I'm really missing one of my carers who has gone on holiday

So the flip - it's great that you have a carer that is lovely enough that you miss them, it's a really positive trait to appreciate the people around us :)

Loneliness is tough though. It's really great you're being proactive with things like volunteering and taking steps to meet new people. It can also help to build some routine into your life - do you have anything at the moment that you do regularly?
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    So the flip - it's great that you have a carer that is lovely enough that you miss them, it's a really positive trait to appreciate the people around us :)

Loneliness is tough though. It's really great you're being proactive with things like volunteering and taking steps to meet new people. It can also help to build some routine into your life - do you have anything at the moment that you do regularly?

Nope cause college has finished for the summer now. Would like to get a job but flashbacks etc is stopping me

• Options
    Im always worried about making the wrong decisions. I know that there isnt a 'wrong' decision to make as such but im worried about deciding something like taking a job or moving somewhere and end up hating it or eveything going wrong
  • Options
    Im always worried about making the wrong decisions. I know that there isnt a 'wrong' decision to make as such but im worried about deciding something like taking a job or moving somewhere and end up hating it or eveything going wrong

Flip it from a :( into a :)

It sounds you consider things carefully before giving a final answer which is great because that means you have more paths to follow. Your options are open to you and your in control. That's great :p

• Options
    I feel like no matter what I do, I'll always be in the wrong