Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hands get stiff on meow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, so the past few times I've taken meow my hands have got really stiff. They get a bit cold, but not overly, and even if I warm them up I can hardly move them. Just wondering if anyone else had got this on stimulants? I get really bad pins and needles in them sometimes too.

Comments

• Options
    Any answers to this? I've just taken some Ritalin and my hands are very cold and stif. Can stimulants mess with your circulation or anything?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Can stimulants mess with your circulation or anything?

Hey, yes they can - Talk To Frank's Mephedrone article mentions it:

"Mephedrone, or meow meow, can also overstimulate your heart and circulation; and can overstimulate your nervous system, with risk of fits."

But it's weird as I wouldn't associate over stimulation with stiffness, would it not be the other way round?

How are you doing generally - has your intake increased recently?
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »

But it's weird as I wouldn't associate over stimulation with stiffness, would it not be the other way round?

How are you doing generally - has your intake increased recently?

Yea so would I which is why I thought it was a bit weird. I stopped taking anything for about 5 months so yea my use has increased but no where near the levels it was, I don't have any money so I can't afford to take loads. I'm just abusing my left over Ritalin pills mainly from when I was prescribed them.
  • Options
    I'm just abusing my left over Ritalin pills mainly from when I was prescribed them.

OK, be very careful as the symptoms can be quite varied in severity and it's not surprising you're experiencing some that are unpredictable.

If you want to talk about what's going on for you at the moment then please do feel free to use this thread for that as well. *hug*
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Any answers to this?
    Don't do drugs. I have no other advice as I have no experience
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »

We all have our vices and even though yours might not be drugs, I think we can all relate to feelings of exasperation when someone suggests the solution is as easy as just don't, or stop.

Equally I can recognise that you may be feeling really worried about B_A and where her actions might lead? If that is the case then just wanted to reassure you it's fine to say that. :)
  • Options
    Fuck off. Why don't you not self harm? Don't tell me what to do with my life. Yes I did have a drugs problem but I don't know, I just like to do them occasionally for fun. Sort your own life out before commenting on mine.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Okay, Annaarrr - I completely agree with what Helen said.

B-A - I can see why you didn't find Annaarrr's comment helpful. It's frustrating when it feels like someone's trying to tell us what to do, but let's all get back to the original issue.

It does seem strange that a stimulant like Ritalin would reduce circulation, but there does seem to be a link for you. Again, Helen's already said it all!
    **helen** wrote: »
    OK, be very careful as the symptoms can be quite varied in severity and it's not surprising you're experiencing some that are unpredictable.

If you want to talk about what's going on for you at the moment then please do feel free to use this thread for that as well. *hug*
  • Options
    You asked for an answer, thats the best one I could give. I know you can't just stop but shit like hard drugs can damage you and there's enough help and support out there to help with that. I don't self harm and my life's sorted.
  • Options
    You asked for an answer, thats the best one I could give. I know you can't just stop but shit like hard drugs can damage you and there's enough help and support out there to help with that. I don't self harm and my life's sorted.

She's getting the help and support that's out there by chatting on here
  • Options

I'm no longer addicted to drugs?! What do I need support for? I don't have a drugs problem. Yea I take drugs occasionally, but that's like saying anyone who drinks occasionally is an alcoholic.
    Why bother replying to a thread if you have nothing helpful to say? It's just damaging for the original poster. My issue is not with the drug taking, I was just intrested to see if other people have problems with circulation on similar drugs.
    I have support from here, from my dad who's a substance misuse advisor for the NHS, from my psych nurse and doctor, from my psychotherapist and my support worker at college. I am not an addict, I'm a recreational user. There's a huge difference.
  • Options
    okay then, so switch to another drug that hasnt got crappy side effects? its just its worrying that it may possibly be causing circulation issues thats all
  • Options
    It's never happened to anyone else I know which is why I was asking, and I know a lot of people so do meow. I think it's probably to do with how it reacts with my medication but who knows :L
  • Options
    Just be careful, anything to do with circulation/blood/the heart is worrying. Have you looked at other sites to see if its common with other drugs?
  • Options
    Hey so could it be down to the Ritalin?

Ritalin (or methylphenidate) causes vasoconstriction (so narrowing of the blood vessels in your peripheries - so hands) and this reduces the flow of blood to your fingers so can make them feel cold / stiff / numb and maybe a bit uncomfortable with pins and needles?
  • Options
    I've been trying to find something to back up what I've been saying... If you read the side effects mentioned under 'cardiovascular' on this page.... http://www.drugs.com/sfx/ritalin-sr-side-effects.html it mentions Raynaud's phenomenon which is the name given for the condition causing a change to the blood supply of the fingers / toes.
  • Options
    Yea I get it with most stimulants I do, I think I'm just over sensitive to them. I just find it weird I've never known anyone else who gets it, depending how much I do I'll get pins and needles in my face too. It always goes away as soon as I come down so it has to just be my weird body reacting to it.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I've found that on drone (as well as MDMA) that stiffness can occur, it's usually when you're not thinking about anything in particular. In my experience the stiffness doesn't last overly long and cutting down for a couple of weeks will alleviate the symptoms in the short-term at least.
  • Options
    Hi going back quite a few years yes i had some symptoms like that from Ecstacy. I was never addicted and only used them for an extra kick when going out. I started getting strange symptoms off the other drug i took. One night i felt that bad i stopped taking anything and never have again. Is it your body telling you to stop which i thought it was at the time.

Quite a few friends take drugs for recreation but they all avoid meow. I was spiked with it last year and felt awful from it not to mention could not sleep for 2 days. The other worry being today is all drugs are that bashed up you don't have a clue what it is. Iv'e spoke with a few who have told me what they do to cocaine before selling it.

From what i know and felt meow is a very quick acting up and down thrill. From suddenly being full of life then to half asleep then to being back up again then it will affect circulation. It also can cause narrowing of blood vessels which will lead to numbness.
  • Options
    Thanks Dr. P. And smile, I'm sorry but the majority of your post is not relevant at all. I have no interest in being lectured about my drug use, please refrain in future from inflicting personal opinion on me about the substances I chose to take. I know the effects of meow I've been using it for years. I just wanted to see if anyone else got the same stiffness.
  • Options
    I've had this with stimulants before. As I recall mostly with lengthy amphetamine binges. I've heard Meow is particularly bad for circulation and a lot of people report their feet turning blue-ish in colour so I can't say I'm surprised you've experienced stiffness/numbness. One of the problems with drugs like Meow is that they haven't been around long enough for the dangers to be gauged adequately, but these stories are enough of a deterrent for me.