Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

caught shop lifting :|

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, today ive done the most stupidest thing.
I was in morrisions and realised i didnt have enough money but decided to empty the tablets into bag and i got caught
They took me into the security and gave me a banning order from all morrisons and took all my details and because i had work they told me to come back tomorrow
Im so scared about what is going to happen next, as i really do not want my mum to know :(
Does anyone know what might happen, im 17 and this was my first ever offence :(
will i get something on my record
Im sick with worry
Jade

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    The 5 finger discount :chin:

Your parents do find out, you have to pay for it! Nothing will happen, you'll get a warning, maybe get told to go to the cop station...They will just ban you from Morissons really so no biggy xx :chin:
  • Options
    It is a biggy though, i dont mean to sound like an arse hole, but I hope that even with just a warning you have been scared enough to not do it again. It sounds like you do understand the severity of what you have done, which is good. Had you brushed it off as not a biggy then whats to stop it becoming acceptable to you somewhere down the line.

However you have done wrong, and luckily its likely not to go very far.
  • Options
    Learn from this and don't do it again.
  • Options
    Hey Jade,

You have been caught shoplifting and are worried about the consequences. You posted this a couple of days ago; have you been to talk to Morrison's yet? What did they say if you have?

If Morrison's decide to deal with this matter themselves, then they can ban you from their shops and ask you to pay for the goods. If you then enter their shops again you will be a trespasser and if you are caught shoplifting again then this would be a more serious offence of burglary.

They may wish to take matters further and inform the police. You would be charged with theft under the Theft Act 1986 as there is no offence for shoplifting in the UK. If you are found guilty of theft by the Courts then you would have a criminal record. If Morrison's decide to take this course of action then you should seek legal advice straight away. You can contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau for advice (use the link to search for your local CAB office).

Be aware that Morrison's can also take action against you through a civil recovery scheme to claim for money incurred in dealing with this matter. If this does happen, then again you may wish to contact your local CAB office for legal guidance.

Let us know if we can clarify anything else for you.

:)
  • Options
    If they wanted you arresting they would have detained you and called the police there and then. It is VERY unlikely that anything further will happen.

The banning order is just that, you're banned from entering any Morrisons store. Now the chances of it being enforced anywhere but your home town are slim, however if you get caught inside the shop you can be charged with civil trespass. Littleone is correct in saying that if you steal anything again you get charged with burglary, not just a simple theft.

What you tell your parents is upto you, you're an adult (ish). But they're probably going to ask questions when you suddenly announce you don't want to go into Morrisons.

As for record, you only get a record if you're arrested and prosecuted/cautioned, which hasn't happened.
    It sounds like you've been very lucky, please learn from it.
  • Options
    what happened in the end...

When i was took into the back of morrisons, they rang up the police there and then and when he came he was going to arrest me and take me to the police station then, but because i was such a wreck and i had to get to work because i didnt want to let work down or for them to know and because it was my first time im guessing he let me come back to the station the next day. Morrisons gave me a ban there, so i am not allowed in any morrison stores.
    The next day i went to the police station and i had to give my dna, figner prints and photograph and then went into an interview room and had to recorded while i was talking about what happened.
    In the end theyy decided to give me the fixed pently fine of £80 which i have to pay within 21 days, however i do not need to go to court, didnt get a caution or a criminal record about. They also didnt have to contact or tell any of my family about the matter which im very grateful for.
    I have definatly learnt my lesson as sitting in cells and going to the police station was unbearable and would not want to be there again :|
    Jade
  • Options
    Hey there Jade,

Thanks for updating us on what happened next; it must have been difficult for you to go to the police station and go through all those formalities.

However, as you say you have learnt your lesson and won't do this again - take this as a learning experience.

• Options
    i did the same thing, i am also 17, they took my name and address, and banned me from all morrisons stores, i just wanted to know if they would send a mail to my house cos i dont want my parents to find out.
  • Options
    caught shoplifting

hi, i did the same thing, (shoplifting in Morrison) i also 17, they took my name and adress and banned me from all Morrison stores, they ddint call the police

does this mean i wont have a criminal record
    will my parents find out cos im scared they would send a mail to my house
    will they fine me
  • Options
    I've PM'd you. Basically the advice I gave Jade is the same for you.
  • Options
    They will take it no further and will simply ban you ! Take it as a warning though not to do it again ,sounds like it really shook you ! That will be enough for them .
  • Options
    Why not ask Morrison staff ? Why have you brought a product that you know nothing about in the first place !!!! ? Is the link you posted a virus by any chance ???????
  • Options
    Hey Guys,
    This is a really old thread.
    josefina2011de welcome to the boards and thanks for your post. However we don't generally bring up really old posts as the user may not want to be reminded of what happened and people may not see your post all the way at the end. So I'm going to close this thread now. But you can start a new thread if you have something to talk about.
    Have a look at New? Read this first... to help you get started.
This discussion has been closed.