Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Too much time on web 'gives children mental health problems' ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So i read this article today and its been on the news a lot today. What do people think? Could this actually be true?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10835157/Too-much-time-on-web-gives-children-mental-health-problems.html

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do think there is some problem and it applies to children and to adults. I'm sure there is scope for people to lead healthy lives even with constant use of the internet and technology in general. The problem I see is when people have to do things away from the internet. I don't distinguish things as the real world vs the internet, as it is all real, but if people become to attached to the internet or grow up and know nothing else, what happens if it disappears in the middle of a power cut. What happens if you go somewhere without a phone signal and you cant use google. What happens if you have to talk to someone in person? People who are unprepared are going to find it difficult, so I don't think overuse of the internet would necessarily cause a mental health problem, but going cold turkey from it could.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I do actually think this is true - and that's why I now stay off facebook a lot more than I used to.

Facebook and similar sites get you into a constant comparison of your life against others which isn't healthy at all and then you start to feel worse in comparison to whoever else is posting things.

The internet in general can also be isolating depending on how you use it. If you're sitting in your room, on your own for hours on end you're isolating yourself - even if you might be talking to people, I don't think it's the same. This technology can grow into being the biggest thing in your life where you're constantly checking - when you could be doing something else more fulfilling that does fill the void in time. In my experience, it was only when I stopped being on the computer all the time and stopped checking social media as much that I started to feel better about things.