Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

You get longer for abusing a dog then you do a child?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I realise the title of this thread is a bit crappy but didn't know what else to put

But what I'm trying to say is when it is found out that someone is abusing/neglecting an animal, they can get 10 years imprisonment. However if parents are found to be abusing (whether that be physical, sexual or emotional) or neglecting a child, they sometimes get less. Why is this? Don't get me wrong, any kind of abuse is wrong whether its to a human or animal and I know that Britain is the country of animal lovers but children (like myself) who have been abused in the past and dont see justice being done, damages them for life. Abuse itself does this but knowing that the police are taking the case no further and let's the abusers just walk around on the streets is mental torture.

I think the whole system should be looked at. Who's with me?

Comments

• Options
    Have you got any stats or anything that show that what you're saying is actually true?
  • Options
    No but I can find them. You see it all the time that people abusing dogs/cats get jail time but people like me who has been abused for most of my life gets no justice

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Ok then I'd like to see them please :)
  • Options
    I'll try find some evidence to support this. But owners of animals are more likely to get sentenced to abuse then child abusers. Look in the news, theres the evidence for that

• Options
    I've been in the police over 10 years and I've never heard of anyone getting any sort of substantial prison term for animal abuse. The maximum is 1 year anyway. They may have been banned from keeping animals for 10 years, that sounds more likely. The usual sentence is a ban and a fine. Child abuse isn't a catch all crime either. Someone who mentally abuses a child is going to get a far more lenient punishment than a person who sexually abuses a child. I think you're getting your wires crossed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Aninal abusers do not get harsher punishments. I would have thought that pretty obvious.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sexual abusers get 'let off' most of the time as there's not enough evidence

• Options
    They maybe dont get harsher punishments but its probably more likely that they get some sort of sentence where as child abusers sometimes get let off under the grounds of not being enough evidence. This is what I meant

• Options
    There are various factors which determine how long someone should be sent to prison for. IE, whether they've done it before, etc.
  • Options
    Sexual abusers being released for lack of evidence doesn't mean people who abuse animals are treated more harshly. Cases are dropped for all sorts of reasons, a lack of evidence is the biggest. Without evidence, you have no proof. The unfortunate thing about sexual assault cases is that often there is no physical evidence. However people are still sent to prison. Max Clifford has just been given 8 years for something he did 40 years ago. That suggests to me that child abusers do actually get long sentences.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I've never heard of a case of animal cruelty where the abuser has got a significant sentence. And since when was the 'news' a reliable source?
  • Options
    Sorry for this guys. Guess I was just angry at my own case and didn't think about it before I made it. Sorry. I guess I saw people who abused dog/cats getting sentenced yet my cases didn't even get ti court

• Options
    It must be very difficult to see things in perspective when they are close to you personally.

It's possibly worth bearing in mind that the only time you'll ever see anything about animal cruelty cases is when the conviction is made - so the view you get of them is a very narrow one. As animals don't have their own voice, cases of animal cruelty will only ever get picked up when there is a mountain of evidence in place - which means that they're going to have quite high conviction rates because without the evidence they wouldn't have been noticed in the first place. Cases involving people are much more complicated. Our justice system looks for evidence beyond reasonable doubt. If they are only two people involved in an incident, and it's out of sight of others/recording systems then it will always be very difficult to prosecute as it comes to one persons word against another.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    Sorry for this guys. Guess I was just angry at my own case and didn't think about it before I made it. Sorry. I guess I saw people who abused dog/cats getting sentenced yet my cases didn't even get ti court

It's understandable that you're feeling angry at the moment, and nice that you're strong enough to make that clear :)
  • Options
    Sorry guys

• Options
    Saying all of this, the sentence given to Stuart Hall was appalling!
  • Options
    Yes I agree