Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Food with minimal calories

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm trying to lose weight and need ideas on what I can eat (I only eat one meal per day) any ideas?

Please don't tell me its bad for me etc

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Eating one meal a day is not going to help you loose weight as it slows down you're metabalism, however, often to keep your metabilism going is eating every 4 hours. Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, tops. You should watch your body healthy loose weight then.

A good way to start the day and get your metablism boosting is breakfast #StateTheObvious - For example starting of with breakfast oats, or Ready brek? Which should give you an awful lot of energy for the day! However, breakfast bars aren't as good, they do give you energy but contain a lot of sugar to give you energy, it's perfect for a snack though, or even a healtier option of an apple for a snack as that can give you a boost in energy.

I will respond properly when I get home, never noticed the time <3
  • Options
    Eating 3 meals a day makes me fat. Trust me. I need to be stick thin

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk
  • Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »

nobody is going to give you advice on how to eat one meal a day, hun. I think you are looking for the wrong type of advice here.
  • Options
    To be honest, I thought about that just after I posted it to be honest...

• Options

It does not. You could eat 20 times a day and not be fat. It just depends on what you eat and how much of it. If you just eat once a day, like it has been said, your metabolism will slow down. you will be hungry and tired but you won't lose any weight in a lasting fashion. And once you start to eat again it will come all back again. If you want to lose weight cut as much sugar from your diet as possible. No sweets, chocolate, sweet juices whatever. The second is doing cardio, like going for a run or ride your bike. You will definitely lose weight that way in a manner where you don't deprive your body of essential nutrients.

Starving yourself does work only in limited scope. You will get thin, but it is not healthy. It works only so long until you lose hair, get brittle fingernail and other signs of malnutrition. Plus once you are fed up from being hungry all the time and start to eat again, it will be all be back up on the bones in a very short time.

Just remember one thing: There is no shortcut to losing weight. Don't buy sheisty pills or stop eating altogether. You will not get the results you actually want.
  • Options
    nobody is going to give you advice on how to eat one meal a day, hun. I think you are looking for the wrong type of advice here.

Hey Becki - as FireyFirenze and others have said - TheSite is a place where you won't be able to get this kind of advice as what you're asking is for us to help you do something that's going to have a negative impact on your health and wellbeing. It sounds like you're aware of this though but you're perhaps feeling unsure as to what to do?

It's clear that you've got some really strong feelings about food and about how you feel you 'should' look and these are unlikely disappear overnight. We can encourage you to let your body have the nutrients and fuel it needs but your mind will have it's own opinions that can be hard to ignore. Have you been able to talk to anyone about this? Your GP would be a good place to start if you find that you're thinking and worrying about food a lot of the time.

Have you had any support around this in the past?
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean any harm :/ I realised once I'd sent it that it may not be appropriate ...
    Everyone says about going to my GP but I can't. I'm too fat to go there to talk about my eating. I won't be taken seriously anyway.
    I was classed as anorexic 4 years ago but was forced to eat again. But I've put on weight since then and want to lose it all again!

• Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean any harm :/ I realised once I'd sent it that it may not be appropriate ...
    Everyone says about going to my GP but I can't.

You can. You absolutely do. If you go to your doctor about something concerning your health (which weight is related to), he will absolutely take you seriously, and maybe you do need to hear the opinion of someone who studied that for years upon years.

I think your problems are far deeper rooting (anorexia) and I think you should address your mental health with a higher priority. I have read somewhere in another thread that you are in counselling? Is that right?
  • Options
    They won't take me seriously because I weigh too much to be classed as a worry etc

Yeah I do have counselling

• Options
    They won't take me seriously because I weigh too much to be classed as a worry etc

Yeah I do have counselling

So I guess that means that you aren't really fat. If a health professional says so, you should maybe begin to realize that your self-image is skewed and that your issues of self-loathing are of psychological nature.
  • Options
    Sorry I'm not sure if I know what you mean

• Options
    Sorry I'm not sure if I know what you mean

At first I thought you were fat fat, as in, objectively overweight. That's why I was at first confused why a doctor would not take you seriously, as if you go see a doctor with an illness and he does not take you seriously because you are TOO sick already. That would not make sense. In reality though you have normal weight ("too much to be classed as a worry", i.e. more than underweight, but not overweight).

See, the problem lies not within your weight, which seems to be in an okay range if the doctor says it's nothing to worry about, it lies within your self-perception. You surely must appreciate that to battle an ailment it is best to go for the root of the problem, not for the symptoms. The symptom is, that you feel fat, but the root of the problem is not that you are fat, but feel like it, for reasons unknown. I can understand that this does not make sense from your standpoint, but if you start to improve your self-image you will accept your body and be content with it, without changing your weight.

Have you brought your weight issues to your counselor and did he or she recommend a course of action?
  • Options
    I don't really talk about my weight with others. When I have done in the past, they've said 'you're not fat'. That's not helpful at all because I know I am.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice though. My Dr is a bit weird so probably won't go see him

• Options
    Why would somebody tell you you're not fat if you are??? Have you ever considered that doctors and counsellors know what they're talking about with this stuff? If you were fat they would support you in losing weight, but you're obviously not.

Similarly to be classed anorexic and then gain weight, i cant believe that youve suddenly gone to overweight and 'fat'.
  • Options
    I don't really talk about my weight with others. When I have done in the past, they've said 'you're not fat'. That's not helpful at all because I know I am.

I don't think health counselors and doctors would lie to you if you were overweight. It's not their job to make you feel good about yourself. If you were overweight and this was reason of the visit they would absolutely tell you. That is their whole reason of being there in the first place. Why can't it be that you are wrong? Just because you feel ugly does not mean that you are or that others feel the same way about you.

I think you absolutely should talk to your counselor about this, because working on your self-confidence will help you with a lot of your problems. The eating, the being self-conscious about wearing summerdresses (which you apparently want, but are too afraid of others minding your change in style), the self-loathing and the seeming hopelessness to find a boyfriend, the feeling that you are not interesting to anyone. Seriously. This is what you must work on. It's the root of all those problems that you feel to have.