Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I don't want to be put into a male environment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going into hospital for anothr biopsy and last time I went for a biopsy I was shoved into a male ward which made me just as discomforted as male restrooms did. I really don't want to be discomforted everytime I've to be admitted to hospital and identify as, dress as and act like a biological female.

Is there anything I can do? I shouldn't have to live in discomfort.

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Do the Drs and Nurses know that you're transitioning? If so, they should take your needs into account.
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    Do the Drs and Nurses know that you're transitioning? If so, they should take your needs into account.

Just by looking at me it's obvious I'm transitioning and I get she'd automatically too despite my GP telling me she wasn't allowed to put my title down as "Miss" which is my legal title until I've had the operation down there.
  • Options
    I just read the Equality Act 2010 and it states that I can use female wards/restrooms legally even without a GRC (Gender Recognition Certificate) which I don't have because I can't obtain one yet.
  • Options
    Hi Helen :wave:

I would have thought as long as you let the staff on the ward be aware of how you feel about this and state that how it makes you feel uncomfortable and that you rather be in a female ward, then they should take this into consideration.

It might be a good idea to tell your doctor and they can say something on your behalf.

purple_rain
  • Options
    If you get put on a male ward just talk to one of the nurses and I'm sure they'll sort something out for you. They're often a very understanding bunch. If your GP isn't supportive could you see another at the surgery or change to a different practice?
  • Options
    You say it's obvious to look at you, but the ward assignations are most likely done on paper/computer based on the gender that's written on the box on the form. If that puts you somewhere that you are uncomfortable, then you'll most likely need to proactively raise it as a question in advance of your visit.

The hospital bed managers can only work with the information they have in front of them, which unless extra is specifically given is probably Male, day case, biopsy.
  • Options
    According to the Equality Act 2010 I am required to have a GRC (Gender Recognition Certificate) but it's good to assume such people have one. I am scared they wont assume and will ask me for one and because I don't have one will shove me on a male ward. This is making me heat up inside.