Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quarter life crisis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know where to put this as it covers a range of issues.

Has anyone else had anything like this before? Im plagued by doubt, guilt, feeling insecure, unworthy. Im at a point where I have no idea where Im going, what Im doing and terrified that whatever decisions I make now are going to impact the rest of my life, and if they're the wrong decisions, then probably negatively.

My job for example. Customer services and admin for insurance. This isnt a career I want but I feel like at 24 I should be in a career orientated job by now. If i stay, I'll be in a career thats not for me. If i leave, I'll be a newbie again, working my way up to something bigger, and who even knows what career I want to do or if I could do it. Until then I feel like my life is on hold.

My living situation as well. Everyone is telling me to stay at home and save money, its the most sensible option, but is it really sensible not to spend your money on something you really want? All this while Im saving money Im wasting time I could be spending living my life.
Then... do I rent or buy? Do i stay or go? If I go i'll need a job that can support me which might limit my options career wise.

I know Im sounding like a whiny bitch but my family are fed up of hearing it. I just want someone to come along and tell me what to do and what will work out for the best as I said Im terrified of making a wrong decision, like choosing to move out, which will end badly.

Everyone says at 24 you've got the rest of your life to fix any mistakes you might make but it really doesnt feel that way. It feels like if i dont have a career driven job and on the way to getting a mortgage now I might as well start stacking shelves for a living and get used to living with my parents the rest of my life.

Comments

• Options
    Although I'm not in a similar position I can relate to some aspects of what you're feeling. I'm 24 and I feel like everything in the future hinges on what I do now. But at the same time I'm beating myself over the head about enjoying the moment.

I don't really have any pearls of wisdom to share, asides to do what your heart tells you, because there's some things you can only do whilst you are young and it's best to regret things you have done and not things you haven't.
  • Options
    100% yes. I think it is pretty common. You're going through a lot of change, even if it doesn't seem like it. You still look and feel young... except you can't stay up all night anymore and hangovers seem so much shittier than they used to, but at the same time there are more and more bills, job shit, house shit, ohmygod I'm getting old shit.

Analyzing what you could have accomplished as opposed to what you have "I wanted to be xxx when I grew up, I'm grown up now... fuck!"

There still is plenty of time to change, even if it doesn't feel like it. I think people who have their life sorted out, working in their desired career path, starting a family and whatever else one is supposed to do by 25 is the exception, not the rule.

It is a shitty age.

13893635223_5319a266f8_o.png*Join in our Easter Egg Hunt! Find all 8 eggs around the boards and PM your list of links to where you found them to Jo7. There?ll be a prize draw next week for the winner!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    25 has come and gone and I'm still not sure what I want to be doing... I think it's fine to survey your environment while you have a place to stand and prepare for the next jump, once you decide on a direction.
  • Options
    I feel like this too. Though my life has only just started heading in the direction I want in the last few weeks, I still feel massively behind my peers. So many have got steady jobs, fiancees/spouses, mortgages and such. Until a a fortnight ago I was working as a temp in a dead end customer services job for min wage. Now I work in purchasing for min wage. The thing is I don't even think having all the perfect settled life would make me happy at this moment in time anyway, but it still feels like they're achieving more than me.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This is something we've thought long and hard about at TS towers, and is definitely something I went through when I was exactly 25.

Even though I still don't have all the answers, I think the thing that sparked change for me was taking some risks and forcing myself to recognize I was the only one who could change things.

Anyhow, a few things that might be worth reading:

An article that sets out what you're going through - Quarter life crisis

Taking it to the extreme: I hate my life

Have you looked on the website spareroom.co.uk? I'm not saying going to rent somewhere is the answer here, but possibly going to a few viewings and engaging with local young people who are living that life will give you a bit more insight and help you to make a decision. There's nothing like seeing how others actually live to give you a wake-up call - whether it be: yes, that's where I want to be, or no, I couldn't bear to live like that and appreciate being at home to save. :chin:
  • Options
    Thanks Helen. As much as I would love someone to come along and fix things I know that only I can. Its just waiting for opportunities to come along and until then I feel useless.

And then what if I choose the wrong option. And if people won't say it they'll be thinking I was an idiot. I think that's what scares me the most
  • Options
    Who cares what other people think? Your thoughts and you are the only thing that matters, in the long run. If you choose the wrong option, that's okay, because it's learning from that choice that makes you the better person.

Make the opportunities rather than wait for them. Be proactive. Go after what you want and get it - the only thing guaranteed to make you fail is if you don't try at all.