Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anti-psychotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I was wondering what peoples experiences are of antipsychotics I've a review of mine due to side effects being excessive and causing more difficulties.

What have you found helped good and bad experiences?! I know there's good and bad of them all and it's different for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone have experience to share please?

• Options
    It can take a long time to find the right ones for you, but stick with it. I wouldn't be alive without mine. Yea the side effects can be very shitty but it'll take several tries to find a specific medication you are suited to, and then hopefully the side effects will settle down.
  • Options
    Anyone been on risperidone?

• Options
    Yep I have. Didn't get on with it (mainly because I was 14/15 at the time, and as I was on a high dose I got a lot of side effects specific to my age group), but everyone is different and it might be the right one for you :)
  • Options
    I seem to react to a lot of meds tried. Hoping to find one that might work. Only a low dose due to previous trails with other meds that left me very suicidal etc trying to tell them I need support while starting them but they don't seem to understand. Worth a. Go I guess :)

• Options
    Yea side effects are shit but it is worth sticking with. I think I've tried about 15 different meds and med combinations. Have you spoken to your gp about meds at all? Sometimes they are more helpful than the mental health team.
  • Options
    Yup spoken to all doctors and the psychology pharmacy helpline I was given. Not sure how long to try them for psychriast said a few months but the side effects to a lot are so bad I can't manage without being hospitalized or under home treatment. Still waiting to here back from cmht regarding support while I start new ones again.

Do you mind if I ask what you take now? And how do find them

Going to give the ris a go hopefully they don't make me really Ill

• Options
    Yea generally you have to try them for 3 months to let the side effects etc. settle down. I'm on quetiapine, citalopram and concerta XL at the minute. Quetiapine is the anti psych.
  • Options
    I've been on quietapine for last three months and it made everything worse with bad side effects. Side effects have never settled with any anti psychs especially sucidal thoughts etc might help more if I had support during it but they don't seem to understand that concept lol

• Options
    Gp hasn't even read the letter with new meds :@ had to get receptionist to chase it up. Now to wait!

• Options
    Sorry to hear that.

*hug*

Keep us posted Liz.
  • Options
    I'm on Quetiapine (bipolar 2 diagnosis) and it's really helped I think... Hard to tell with me because of the nature of my condition and because I am no longer in a horrible job.

It took a while to adjust to. I had digestive problems, awful constipation never felt satisfied when I ate, had nightmares, felt numb and slept a lot... But just under a year to adjusting the dose I'm on now, I feel it's really helped.

I can read (normally my mind was racing or I felt chronically depressed), I feel "normal"/absence of emotional agony and I dont regret it. Some people think I'm weak for using drugs to regulate my illness, but it is so worth it to be able to have a lifem
  • Options
    I took risperadone for 3 months when i had a little psychotic episode and it made me very zombie like and I put on a load of weight and my hair started falling out. But saying all of that - I have bad reactions to lots of psycho-active medication so it could just have been my constitution.
  • Options
    Anti-psychotics

Quiteapine didn't agree with me they upped it but it made everything worse, so I stopped it. Starting on risperdone all it's done atm is made my mind raise a million times the hour and it's driving me mad more than before hopefully will settle :)

Thanks for your replies :)