Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Van Driving job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here drive vans, like transit vans, for a job/living?

I've been wondering about a job in them months ago, but gave the idea up. Now that I'm out of work, I'm starting to look in to the idea again.

Do you need a special licence to drive them or can you use a normal full car licence ...

Comments

• Options
    The size of van you can drive on a car licence depends on what year it was issued to you - later ones are more restrictive. You can check your licence for yourself and consult the government licensing site for details, though, in general, you'd be good for a transit van or smaller, but your entitlement to drive a luton style / larger van would depend on when you passed your test. (It was something like pre-97 that gave you c1)
  • Options
    I got my licence in 2005 ?
  • Options
    Have a check out of this website, it should help you.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-drive
  • Options
    Hi Fishy Frags

Have you given any thought to how hard this might be on your legs? I just wonder because that was obviously a factor in your last job ending.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Hi Fishy Frags

Have you given any thought to how hard this might be on your legs? I just wonder because that was obviously a factor in your last job ending.

I have thank you. It has nothing to do with my legs. Only my left ankle.

I won't have any problems with driving. I just can't stand up all day. I'm still wondering about driving as a job. I have no idea what else I could do as a job other than this one.

I wonder what the job centre will say when I sign up on the dole and tell them that I can't do certain jobs. I'm worried here.
    My sister is planning on taking me to a recruitment agency sometime where she found her current job.
  • Options
    You could actually go to the job centre and see. That's probably better than sitting at home guessing about what they might think. You could also go to see the doctor if you haven't already, to see about medical fitness.
  • Options
    I used to receive JSA and never (apart from once) had a problem regarding not being able to do certain jobs due to disability.
  • Options
    Just so you know. Van driving jobs are rarely just van driving. You'll be expected to deliver or help with logistics.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    With you lic you will be able to drive anything up to 3.5 tonnes. This includes all vans including the long wheel based Ivecos and Sprinters.
    As Fiend said being a van driver rarely consists of driving only. Most van driving include the loading of the vehicle as well.

Whilst unemployed why not try a bit of drop shipping or ebay selling. It wont make you big money to start with but it will give you something to do from the comfort of your home and can be quite interesting. Who knows if you're good at it and find a niche then it can also become quite lucrative.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Nah. I don't use eBay that much any more since lots of 'shops' appeared.
    I have around 30 dvds that I want to get rid of and I know I won't sell them on there.

I could sell salmon flies (it's about time I tied some because I haven't 'dressed' any for nearly a year!)

I don't know when I'm going to the job centre or when my sister is taking me to the rec agency.
    I also have to update my CV. Also I don't have any references.
  • Options
    I should have mentioned in my first thread that I wouldn't mind a transit van job. Not any of the big vans
  • Options
    Well as transits are some of the big vans. Tbh most driving jobs that involving vans require loading and are often quite physical.
    If you were looking for a job that involves driving only then taxi driver would be a better bet though the hours can be unsociable.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What Skive says,

I was going to suggest the same, I adore driving and was looking at doing some sort of driving job when I moved a few years back, the problem is each job has their cons.

Van Driving: Usually involves a lot of lifting/manual labour (loading/unloading) and time restraints/deadlines to get deliveries out

Taxi Driving: Unsocialble hours, the ones I know off (that we work with) the drivers usually do 4 days (12hours) 2 off and 4 nights (12 hours) and it can be hard work.

Also as you're class as self employed you only earn a % of the wage, (how much is dependant on the company)

Some taxi companies pay for everything (car, insurance, licenses, fuel etc) and you earn around 19-20% of the fares,
    Some taxi companies pay for just provide the car and insurance and you pay for everything else out of your pocket (but your % take is higher)
  • Options
    Nope I'm not at all interested in being a taxi driver.
  • Options
    Well if you have problems with manual labour I think you'll struggle find a job driving vans that's suitable for you. Good luck tho.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Lifting and manual labour doesn't bother me. I didn't say anything about this!!
  • Options
    If you have trouble standing up all day then a manual job would also possibly be a bit of a stretch.
    Weekender Offender