Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personal Statement help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm applying to an applied sciences course at college which has a pathway program into medicine. I'm currently attempting to write my personal statement for it but seem to be completely at a loss on how best to structure a personal statement with the aim to get into medicine. I was wondering if any one had any particular advice/tips on how best to structure it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Nietzsche

I remember having to write my personal statement and the writers block that goes with it! Knowing where to start and how to structure can be tough. Your personal statements gives you a chance to showcase what you've learnt from school/college/work experience and demonstrate what non-academic skills you have that you think would be good and transferable to studying sciences/medicine. Its really your chance to show off :)

I found a few links that might help - they are focusing Medicine but give you an idea of structure. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/advice_for_people_writing_their_medicine_personal_statements
    http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/oct/01/personal-statement-for-medicine

Good luck and let us know how it goes! x
  • Options
    Also be aware that a lot of uni's don't accept applied/btec courses or only accept them at the highest possible grade, so it's worth checking before hand that it being an applied course won't hold you back from the universities you want to attend :) (assuming this is a college course, could be wrong!)
  • Options
    The course is actually in partnership with the university I want to attend and the applied sciences course is tailored to allow access to their medical school. They have a guarantee of 5 places for obviously the best students in the course, which I'm intending on being :P
  • Options
    Ah okay :) a lot of people don't know about the boundaries of applied courses so it's good that you are aware of the limited numbers of places etc. Good luck with it!
  • Options
    It turns out I already have the minimum grade requirements to enter into medicine, and since I'm already a student at the university, I have sent an email to ask if it's possible to transfer if I undergo the same clinical aptitude test on my leave of absence, undergo relevant work experience etc. Hopefully it's possible I can do that since it'll save on me reapplying to everything again...

This is stressful.