Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prezi vs. Powerpoint

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As part of one of my modules this semester I have to go into a school (in my case it will be primary) and do an interactive presentation.

I've pretty much decided on the content, but I need some advice on whether Prezi or Powerpoint would be better. TheSite Leaders will probably agree with me when I say that Prezi is nicer to look at and is something different, compared to the more traditional Office Powerpoint, so that automatically makes it appeal more to me. However, if I'm just using the basic free package, will I be able to edit and format the background etc to make it suitable for 6-10 year olds, or will I get the standard tree? Also, will I be able to embed music clips and play them back with ease?

Any opinions on either option would be great! :)

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I don't know much about prezi but I do know that some schools aren't that technologically up to date, therefore compatibility could be an issue. A lot of schools use the smart board software, which is easy to manipulate, but some don't. My advice would be to use PowerPoint. I work in schools, I teach y3 and normally use PowerPoint in the classroom. It does everything I need it to and I can still make it look pretty enough to capture the children's attention. At least you will know that your presentation will open as I've not been in a school that doesn't have ppt on their systems.
  • Options
    I don't know much about prezi but I do know that some schools aren't that technologically up to date, therefore compatibility could be an issue. A lot of schools use the smart board software, which is easy to manipulate, but some don't. My advice would be to use PowerPoint. I work in schools, I teach y3 and normally use PowerPoint in the classroom. It does everything I need it to and I can still make it look pretty enough to capture the children's attention. At least you will know that your presentation will open as I've not been in a school that doesn't have ppt on their systems.

Prezi is internet based, so in theory I can access it anywhere. Having said that, some of the schools I've been in have appalling internet connection, so you've made a valid point.

Should have added that I also have to present the presentation to my lecturer and my seminar class, which was why I thought about Prezi in the first place.
  • Options
    Just had a little look and prezi looks rather cool. Is is completely free? I may have to look into it more.

As a general, schools are really good with internet. The issue would be more firewall problems, eg I can't access YouTube in school because the authority deem it unsuitable. Which is ridiculous. So, if you go for prezi then try and have a back up on PowerPoint.

When I'm back in school tomorrow I will see if it an access it from my end, but bear in mind, all schools / authorities have different firewalls.
  • Options

When I'm back in school tomorrow I will see if it an access it from my end, but bear in mind, all schools / authorities have different firewalls.

That would be great, thank you. The school I will be going to is in the city, whereas the school with bad internet coverage was really rural - mobile phone signal was patchy too. Crazy that in the 21st century that's still the case!

As far as I know it's free, but you pay to access more than the basic stuff.
  • Options
    I will look tomorrow and get back in touch.

Thanks for introducing me to it, though :)
  • Options
    I've heard very good things about Prezi from lecturers.

If you prefer the ppt style but can't / don't want to pay to have it on multiple computers, I've had really good experiences with Open Office.
  • Options
    Keynote? is that a third option?
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Keynote? is that a third option?

Apart from my iPad I don't have access to Apple software. If the school was operating on a windows system, would the fact that the presentation was on Apple be a problem?
  • Options
    Shouldn't be because I'm pretty sure you can get iWork which includes keynote for windows, but there are adapters so that you could hook up an iPad to a projector and use it from there
  • Options
    I will be doing my presentation on my laptop, as much as I love my iPad, it's not practical for doing extended pieces of uni work. Going to look into iWork more though, after a brief look it looks so much nicer than Office!

When I win the lottery I'm going to buy myself a Mac.
  • Options
    Prezi works in my school but that doesn't guarantee it'll work eveywhere.
  • Options
    Prezi works in my school but that doesn't guarantee it'll work eveywhere.

Thank you, that's good to know. I think I'm going to pester my local teacher-type friends and see if it works for them too.
  • Options
    Very late to reply, but you can get an educational licence for free (just sign up with your school/uni email) and that allows you access to more of Prezi's features.