Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Physio

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys :wave:

I have Sciatica (still not sure if I can spell it right) which causes me to suffer with really bad lower back pain. I'm on codeine 30/500s for this, and I basically live off these bacuase the pain is so bad, but now I'm addicted to them and end up taking them when I feel like I need to calm down.

Anyway, I tried physio a bit over a year ago when nobody knew that I had Sciatica and this didn't help so I got referred back to the doctors. Since then I have been going back about it, and only recently a new doctor I saw has diagnosed me with Sciatica.

I have been referred back to physio again now, and have got some new exercises. I think this was last friday. I've been trying to do the exercises everyday but it's making my back a lot worse, and this is adding to my stress. I don't know whether to try and put up with it and carry on doing the exercises, or whether I should give up doing the exercises. Honestly, I'm leaning more towards giving up because of the pain.

I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, or if anyone has any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Have you got another appointment coming up? I'd ring them up and ask if you should keep doing them, or if there are any simplified versions which might cause less pain?
  • Options
    I don't know exactly, it's written down on my calender, but I think it might be the 15th november.

I don't like making phone calls. I have aspergers and my ex, and the kids, made me more confident but since breaking up with him my confidence has been knocked a little bit. Now everytime I try to make a phone call I panic and end up not doing it.

When I got the exercises though they said these are the simple things I need to practice before I can do anymore. I need to practice keeping my back flat while lifting my legs up one at a time as this will strengthen my core muscles. I wasn't supposed to be doing this one but she changed it because everytime I tried to do the other exercise I couldn't keep my back flat no matter how hard I tried. Also, I need to lie down flat on my back and just keep doing the reaction that you do when you think you're going to be punched in the stomach.
  • Options
    There should be a way you can request a call from your physio. Whilst I was waiting for my appointment I needed some advice regarding a night splint and even though my actual physio was on holiday I got a call back from one of the other ones there. They have always told me that if the exercises make it worse to stop and to contact them so I would try and do that. Don't give up. We are here to help you through this. Could your mum not give them a call for you? Or maybe try and talk to your GP.
    Sometimes with painkillers your body gets so used to them that the effects stop working and maybe this is the case with coedine for you. It is highly addictive but if taken too much can start causing further problems which you don't want.
  • Options
    When I had my appointment last week, the woman I had is leaving and said when I go back I'll have the new guy who will be taking over all of her cases. This has annoyed me. Why give me an appointment with a woman who is leaving? So I met her, liked her, now I've got to meet another new person and I don't want a man.

I think that if physio didn't work before, it's not going to work now. It's pointless even trying. Is there nothing else that could help with Sciatica?

I've got morphine that my ex gave me a while ago so I'll start taking them if my codeine stops working :yes:
  • Options
    I know it is hard. You have a right to contact them and say you would rather see a female physio and they have to accept that and find you someone suitable. You never know they may be even nicer :).

Please don't take the morphine. You should never take anything that has not been prescribed for you and morphine is a very strong drug and even more addictive than coedine.

It is not pointless. You should definitely go to at least the first session and talk to them about how you feel and how it worked (well didn't work) before and your worries. They are there to talk to as well as help with your back. It will get better it is just a case of finding the right treatment which is best for you.

Rember KC keep smiling and keep your head up. It will get there
  • Options
    Thanks my lovely LC :)

Okay, I'll go to the next appointment and see what they say.

I think I'm just going to stop doing the exercises then, or maybe cut down.
  • Options
    what exercises have they given you?
  • Options
    I need to practice keeping my back flat while lifting my legs up one at a time as this will strengthen my core muscles. I wasn't supposed to be doing this one but she changed it because everytime I tried to do the other exercise I couldn't keep my back flat no matter how hard I tried. Also, I need to lie down flat on my back and just keep doing the reaction that you do when you think you're going to be punched in the stomach.

They seem really simple but they're not, I cannot for the life of me keep my back flat.
  • Options
    They sound it. especially with back pain. Ok so plan is to talk to your physio about these exercises and how you feel. It will be fine :)
  • Options
    I went back to physio last friday and met my new worker. He's okay I guess, I did prefer the worker that left though.

Anyway, he changed some of my exercises and added some streches too. This has made me even more uncertain about doing them becuase I don't know what to think when two workers have disagreed on what exercises I need to be doing.

I've just done them and already my back is throbbing with pain again. I'm not allowed more painkillers for another hour yet..

I seriously just want to give up with these. My back is never going to get better is it? And I think by doing these exercises and streches it's just going to be worse in the long run.
  • Options
    It's very very unlikely that basic exercises and stretches will make your back worse in the long run. Good core stability can make a massive difference to back pain, but it takes effort to get there and the exercises and stretches will take practice. For it to work, you need to want it to work and you need to work with your physio to make it work. Everyone's body is slightly different and responds differently so it's likely that you'll need to work with your physio to strengthen the muscles and adjust the exercises so they work.

If you're getting pain, you need to tell your physio, and work with them on how you build up the ability to do the exercises.