Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BPD diagnosis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was recently diagnosed with BPD and don't know much about it. Can anyone give me any info, advice or information about support?
Or if you have it what its like for you.
thanks x

Comments

• Options
    If you have a look on twitter, a group of people with BPD run a #BPDchat every week, which can be comforting. It's not moderated and obviously it is public on twitter, but creating a new account just for that is an option.

I'm always wary of internet resources around Borderline Personality Disorder, especially as one of the highest ranked pages on google is basically a rant about some bloke's ex. The Mind website pages are very good on the subject, though.

BPD is often a controversial diagnosis, and is often diagnosed when something is wrong but they don't really know what. Or, in some cases, when the psychiatrist takes a dislike to you. It's usually characterised by an unsteady sense of self and unsteady relationships with others; "I love you, I hate you".

The only other thing I'd say is that it doesn't define you, you're not now "a Borderline", it is a diagnosis and nothing more. And it is something you can grow up with and "recover" from; I was diagnosed at 18 with BPD but have not really met the criteria for the diagnosis for a good few years now.
  • Options
    Everything I was going to say, AR has said.

It's just another way of describing what you're going through, and in an ideal world the diagnosis steers you to the best treatment for you, but you are not a "disordered personality", it's just words.