Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sertraline -SSRI medication

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone taken or know anything about Sertraline? I have been put on it today as my psychologist phoned my GP to make an urgent appointment as she felt that I was escalating downhill so needed help. It's an anti-depressant medication but I am really worried that it is going to make things worse before they get better and I don't know if I can cope with anything much worse

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello Lauren,

I think with any SSRI's you will often find medication is a scope of feeling worst, before it starts to make you feel better. My mother takes Sertraline, and the first few weeks of her taking them, you could really tell how shit she felt, but like it
    gradually improved, and she's doing great at the moment. Have you been on Anti-Depressants before?

But if you are worried about how the medication will generally take effect, it's always worth chatting to your mental health profession, or the prescriber, to clear up any worries about the medication you might have!

Here's a useful link from the NHS website you may wish to check out to...http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/medicineoverview.aspx?condition=Depression&medicine=sertraline

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    Thanks angel. I will check that out. No I haven't been on any before. I am supported whilst on them with two psychologist appointments a week and I am seeing my GP again in 2 weeks but am just a bit scared about it. I think it also has made me accept that I really do need help
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi Lauren,

Everyone has different reactions to medication - but in some cases, yes, you may feel worse before you feel better.

It's good to know that you're well-supported though and hopefully the medication will be able to help you.
  • Options
    Sertraline made me really anxious for the first two weeks of taking it, but since then it's been the best thing I've ever been on.

Unfortunately anything higher than my current dose makes me permanently nauseated, but I'm at least stable right now, which I can say with confidence I would not be without it.
  • Options
    I have anti-emetics to stop me feeling sick so hopefully that will be ok. I am already really anxious and at my lowest I have ever been so I really hope it doesn't get any worse :(
  • Options
    We're all here for you lovely, you're not alone. You've got me, and you've got a great family to help you through this. And keep posting on here whenever you want to! :heart: