Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anyone I can talk to?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I've been feeling pretty down lately and I need someone to talk to.
I live in the UK and i go to a place known as camhs but they tell my dad what i say because I'm a minor..
are all places like this or are there other places that can help me without my parents being involved?
I'm 17

Comments

• Options
    hey :)
    im not involved with camhs but i know roughly how it works. a suggestion i was thinking of is Mindfull.org they may be able to help. There are people on there who can chat to you about things. its open from 10am-12pm 7 days a week (but you may want to check ive got that 100% right)
    Hope your alright, were all here for you and im happy to listen
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Nicole,

Welcome to TheSite.org message boards. Sorry to hear you've been feeling a bit down recently, it sounds difficult, but a massive well done for reaching out to people on here, an amazing step to take! Even though you're a minor, you are 17, and CAMHS, still has a confidentiality agreement to follow, so aren't meant to share much, unless they feel you're at risk. But CAMHS is also a family service, which involves the family, towards your recovery.

Personally I would recommend sticking with CAMHS, and it might be worth bringing up the confidentiality policy they have. As the one I had with mine was, if they felt I was in danger they would share it with my parents, as well as any new behaviours would also be shared. Which I must admit is difficult at times, but it's about taking those gradual steps. It might also be worth talking about your worries about having your parents involved with them to. So they get to know more about you.

If you're looking for more support, that isn't a family service, it might be worth checking out GetConnected - Whom have a webchat, and can direct you in directions to support you might find beneficial. You can also phone people like ChildLine on 0800 1111, if you just needed someone to talk to. But the confidentiality policy where-ever you go, should be the same due to your age, if here worried they will inform your parents. But it's about doing what's best for you.

Also to Echo RoseBud, if you were considering online counselling, Mindfull.org might be worth checking out. They focus on mental health specifically, and also have mental health professionals on there. You can also get support from your own age group if that was to make it easier for you, as well as talk to trained counsellors. I don't know much about Mindfull as a whole, but it has a few good self help tips on, which are worth checking out.

Do keep reaching out to us Nicole, and again, welcome to TheSite.org message boards.

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    You need to speak to your CAMHS worker about confidentiality. My CAMHS worker's don't tell my mum anything, as they know it will make my situation worse. Try and explain to them that you don't feel comfortable with what they tell him, and it isn't helping your home life.

Along with Angel's suggestions, you can always try talking to the Samaritans if you need complete confidentiality. Unlike Childline, who have a very lose confidentiality statement, the Samaritans will not share anything with anyone. They don't offer support as such, but you are able to talk about how you are feeling and they will listen to everything. You can text, email, phone or visit them face to face. http://www.samaritans.org/ There's also information on how they help under 18's, and other supportive websites here: http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/if-youre-under-18