Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Psychodynamic therapy?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone, so I saw my psychologist today and it wasn't as bad as I was thinking and I managed to tell her everything and it is all going to remain confidential. She wants to see me again next week but wants to refer me to have psychodynamic therapy that she doesn't think I will get on the nhs. Does anyone know what this is? She thinks it's going to be about £70 a session and I don't know whether I can afford it without having to talk to my parents for money. But then I will have to tell them why and I'm scared to do that. She wants to see me again next week as I don't think she believed me when I said I was ok. I feel so much more relaxed when I'm talking to her and I feel really comfortable with her but I don't know how long she will be able to see me weekly.
Hope everyone is having a good day :) Lauren xx

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry too much about the terminology, "psychodynamic" is just a descriptor of the method the therapist is using, but what she's probably talking about is a kind of one-to-one talking therapy.

It's good that she wants to see you next week, you should talk some more about why she thinks you won't get it on the NHS - is it because of a long waiting list, perhaps? In which case you could maybe decide to wait rather than pay if you think you can mange that.
  • Options
    I do not understand why your psychologist thinks that you can't get Psychodynamic psychotherapy on the NHS!!! Its the most commonly used form of psychotherapy, which many find helpful but if its for traumatic experiences its not (IMO) the best therapy to use. I have never come across any therapist charging that much (its nearer the £30-£50 mark). The only reason you wouldn't get it on the NHS is because they didn't think that it was "clinically necessary" - i.e. they don't feel you are unwell enough to need it. What is it you are seeing her for? Has she given you a diagnosis?
  • Options
    I have seen her since my stroke and at first I was only seeing her to help with my memory and concentration which were affected by the damage to my brain. I had a routine appointment booked with her last week that was happening once every 3 months just to see how its going and if its improving at all but we ended up talking about how I feel since the set back in my recovery. In the past from a seperate event I used to SH and got diagnosed with PTSD and depression so she is worried and linking what has happened now with my past. She says that I am depression and worried about me harming myself again which I have been :(. I will talk to her next week about why she doesn't think I can get it on the NHS because she says it will benefit me but I will continue seeing her but I'm not sure how much longer she can keep seeing me