Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mindfulness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys :wave:
I have a question about mindfulness. Even though I havent managed to use this properly I love it and I love learning about it. I just wondered if anyone has any tips on how to use midfulness? I have tried a lot of times and struggle to get started.
If anyone else have any questions on mindfulness please feel free to post them on here and we could all help each other out :)

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Butterfly,

Their are lodes of Mindfulness activities to do out there, because mindfulness covers such a vast variety of things, following some key ones, which are, observe (Notice what's going on), describe (Puts words on to experience) and participate (Get fully involved). They are generally you core mindfulness skills. Being mindful is all about taking control of your mind, rather than you mind being in control of you, when you're in a moment of distress, or filled with anxiety, mindfulness is perfect anywhere, really! It's also about involving your 5 senses to which include, sight, sound, taste, smell and touch.

Mindfulness activities that I find easier for myself, are the ones that actually require participation, for example tossing a bean bag amongst people, and not judging it, focusing on the bean bag coming to you, etc, the touch of the bean bag, and being able to really notice it. Being able to allow your mind not to float away to another place really does help when you need to get your head down, for example, I've involved my mindfulness in college hours, for example when playing Badminton! It's difficult as hell first time round, as stopping judgements and just being able to go with it, with full focus, can be very difficult, but it's about practising the skills on a constant basis. Even if you've been doing Mindfulness for 5 years, you still can't always stop your find from going else where!

But Mindfulness activities which are more easier when I'm alone would be the guided relaxation ones, where you would follow an Audio and it will guide you on what to do. Maybe you could do one by yourself, for example, being able to feel your feet, which foots heavier than the other, or which one feels warmer? A guided example could be progressive muscle relaxation videos, which can be found on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFwCKKa--18. Another example could be from the CWP website, something called 'Chillax' - http://www.mymind.org.uk/thebox/downloads/mmb006_chillax.mp3 Which is very beneficial when trying to go to sleep.

Mindfulness should be done in a comfortable position, however, it's not about needing to be relaxed, but it's often easier to engage in mindfulness when you are in a position which is relaxing. Sitting in a position where you feel comfortable, should lead you to fewer judgements, as I know when I'm sitting in an awkward position, rather still, it can be rather frustrating, as you start an argument in your head about whether you should move position, or wait for the excersize to finish. Or judgements for example 'Am I sitting strangely' could occur, but by noticing them, you are being mindful.

After doing mindfulness, you should allow yourself time at the end to describe how the activity was, with friends, etc. However, you must do it non judgementally. It's common to start learning mindfulness skills by focusing out attention to out breath, out bodies, as well as the environment or activities around you. However, being mindful of emotions helps us to stand back from emotions, being able to understand it, and also not fear it or struggle against it and can be beneficial when reducing distressing moments.

You could start by bringing your attention to your breath. Notice your breathing as you slowly breath in and out, perhaps imagining you have a balloon on your stomach. Being able to notice the sensation in your stomach inflates on the the breath in, and de-flates on the breath out.

Their are also simple tasks you can do, however, doing them mindfully, if you get what I mean, for example, choose an everyday activity you do? For example brushing your teeth, washing up, cleaning, or really anything you want, then notice every aspect of the experience, sights, sounds, textures, tastes as well as smells, so again all senses involve.

Full participate with it, keep your attention on this moment, kinda like becoming an expert as this particular duty, job, or whatever, and allowing yourself to notice anything that gets in the way of being mindful, thoughts, actions, emotions urges, being able to notice them is a great when being mindful!

Then notice judgements without clinging to them or pushing them away, just let them go, and focus on the task you're doing, if you wanted to make it harder, you could choose a task you don't like or are less familiar with. I do it everything night when I brush my teeth, or when I go in for a shower. I also use drawing, and even though I'm not always fully mindful, I do notice the judgements that get in the way, or worry thoughts. And it's about asking yourself did you do any of it mindfully, would you give it another go?

We did this art, but we did something called continues line drawing via touch for 30 minutes. Basically cloths your eyes, get a object with bumps and smooth edges, don't sit looking at the paper, sit like besides your desk, you could stare out when you're drawing, as long as you notice the object, and try your hardest not to look at it, and then it will be amazing, but draw the object you have in your hand, it might not look anything like your object, but it's art ;) - And it's a very mindful task, and for the task to work, it's about dropping the judgements, the picture will be okay!

Anyway, knowing me, I could go on and on about Mindfulness, but I have to dash!

Edit : I've just found mindfulness podcasts that you also might find useful to check out - http://shcs.ucdavis.edu/resources/mindful-podcast.html

Take care,
    And best of luck with Mindfulness,
    Angel!
  • Options
    Wow, thanks angel. That's so much useful information that I think will really help. I'm especially looking forward to trying the art thing. Thank you
  • Options
    Wow, thanks angel. That's so much useful information that I think will really help. I'm especially looking forward to trying the art thing. Thank you

Hello Butterfly,

Out of fascination, what Mindfulness activities have you engaged in so far? :)

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    Hi Angel
    I've not really had a chance. Every time that I try and get involved with mindfulness I start focusing on my breathing and just trying to understand the emotion I'm feeling but I find it hard. I'm not going to give up though, I love hearing about it and looking at websites.
    I can see that you are also passionate about it. It sounds like a subject you are very familiar with. How long have you been using mindfulness? X
  • Options
    Hello Butterfly,

Mindful breathing is a GREAT starting off point, but one that is very difficult when you're in your room, or a complete silent area, it can often help going outside to do it, I know I found that more beneficial in comparison to doing it indoors. Because you were still able to stay in touch with all your senses. Breath is the lovely air, and breath out, and really notice it, is it cold? You could question yourself on it later, to see if you were mindful.

But with Mindful breathing, it's often about getting in to a routine off it, till it actually get's easier, but it's great that you're going for it, maybe it's about trying it in different scenery now, and seeing if you find any of them a bit easier? Or you could close your eyes, and look out your window and do it, and get a chair you can actually relax in, I find the spinny desk chairs to be frustrating when being mindful, as you're likely to move. Remember to rest both feet on the ground, and just sit there closed eyes and breath.

But it sounds like you're making good progress so far, amazing first steps!

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    I always try and do mindful breathing in my room as I thought it would be easier in the complete silence. I knew you could do it anywhere like if you're walking to work or on a bus but I thought that was when you had practiced in the silence for a bit. I like going for walks so I'll sit on a quiet bench and try it again later. Thanks Angel.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi butterfly,

Angel has already posted some amazing advice here, so I'll just add one thing:

We did an expert chat the other week about mindfulness, and the transcript has just gone up, which you can find here.

It's quite a good introduction to mindfulness and answers some common questions. You might find it interesting too Angel :)
  • Options
    Thanks JPick :)
  • Options
    Hi butterfly,

Really good to see you're interested in Mindfulness. For getting started I would recommend following an online course (or going to an offline course - but I know that isn't always possible!). This will give you a bit of an understanding about why and how it can work - and make your first experience a bit more structured. Mindfulness is about training your brain to become better at working in a different way - so it's good to have some trainers to help :) Have a look at this one.

Without something like that it can be really hard - as you've found.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Ooh thank you Fostress :)