Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Family problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I have been thinking over two hours whether to post on here or not but, after I read few posts I thought I'd give it a go.

I start a little about my family, my father abandoned us and divorced my mother, when I was 7 then my mother and grandfather took care of both my younger sister and me. My mother remarried after couple of years and my step dad is really nice guy except when he gets angry. Because when that happens, he would hit all of us with anything he would get on his hands. After years of physical abuse due to my step dad's temper, I recently moved away from home and live with friends but I'm really scared for my sister who is still 14 and as she is a minor I can not ask her to come live with me. I fear if my step dad hits or abuses her, though my mother reassures me otherwise.
I get to see my sister once a fortnight or month and call her too but I'm still scared.

Another problem that I have been having lately is really scary dreams in which someone is trying to kill me, this has been happening for almost a month now. Like last night I could actually feel someone trying to stab me and I could feel the pain. A friend of mine says it could be PTSD but I do not know much about it or how could I get it, of what I thought only people who have been in war or accidents can get PTSD.

Comments

• Options
    sorry to hear this, sounds like a difficult situation but i know how the protection over your sister feels like. Im still living at home for now with a younger sister who is 14 and my parents. my mum is similar when she gets angry she has physically abused but that stopped a year ago, now its more emotional, but i dont want to leave my sister.
    The main thing you can do is remind your sister she is not alone. its good your mum is there for your sister from what i understand. Whats it like living with friends? how did you tell your mum? or did you just leave? sorry, just curious how that happened, must have been so hard to leave your sister due to her still being a minor.
    Are you able to talk to your sister about it? did your sister understand the abuse that was happening, because at a young age its hard to understand, i know that from my experience.

With the scary dreams, its worth going to see a doctor i reckon, especially if its affecting your sleep. from the little knowledge i have of PTSD anyone can get it, its just more common for people who have been in war or accidents, but you have been physically abused, so this may have been part of it.

Hope this helps slightly, its one of my first replies. and welcome :)
  • Options
    I do, I feel very protective of my sister. I feel I should have not abandoned her but I had no choice. My step dad kicked me out one night when he was drunk and he refused to let me in for few days even after my mom pleaded. I went to live in with friends at that time and never returned. I do keep in contact with my sister and mother, call them once a week but I feel it is not enough. I just need to get a good job and make more money so once my sister is 18 she can come stay with me. As for my mother she does not want to leave him(my step dad) because she is so used to abuse that it has become part of her life and has lot of obligation towards him for giving us food and shelter.

I still get nightmares and there are always some violent dreams which don't let me sleep properly and I wake up in middle of night with terrible headache.
    Living with friends is fine, they are helpful and we share expenses but I need to move as I wish to study and make better with my life, what we have here is partying all night and sleeping all day kind of environment.
    And, your reply was helpful, thanks. :)