Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Edward V

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
There's a poster called the "Frightful royal family tree". I couldn't find a big-resolution image of it online.

For Edward the 5th, the drawing looks like a woman to me. I remember reading about a king who is suspected to have been a woman (or was it the other way around?) but the Wikipedia article on this one doesn't seem to say anything relevant.

Does anyone know a possible explanation?

Comments

• Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Oooo. I haven't got a clue but it sounds interesting. :P
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Edward V was one of the Princes in the tower, and was never crowned, due to the actions of Richard III, and their disappearance. There is a rumour that their mother, Elizabeth Woodville, sent one of the boys to France under disguise, so that the next in line to the throne was safe, rather than imprisoned in The Tower of London, and used another boy as replacement. He was still quite young when his father died and before his disappearance (around 13)so it could be argued that he just looked quite effeminate and young anyway, considering the strange artistic models of beauty then also, so the painting is hardly reliable. Never heard anything about him being a girl really, just that he could have really been in France. I have heard of a few monarchs who have been described as 'effeminate' as an insult to their strength and ability as ruler, but that's the propaganda machine really.
    Recently, I have read an article stating that Elizabeth I could have been a man...it was very contrived, but still interesting. There's another scandal that there could have been a female Pope, that has been covered up by the Catholic Church.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There was a female pope, pope Joan
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

That's the one I was thinking of, but wasn't really sure if it was fact rather than just a Medieval Legend.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I remember Edward V now.. The White Queen on BBC 1 was about his family haha
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That's the drawing I meant. I guess it could be supposed to be a boy...
  • Options
    It is supposed to be a boy. He was 13 (ish)
  • Options
    Yeah, he was a young boy but the hairstyles of the time are effeminate to modern eyes.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

Isn't a prerequisite to becoming Pope that you have to sit on a wooden chair with a hole in so the other cardinals can vouch for your gender? Or have I confused Blackadder with real life? One never can be certain whether an amusing story is parody or truth when it comes to the Catholic church!
  • Options
    I think if that is the case, it was brought in because of Pope Joan. As far as I remember anyway.