Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what does depression feel like?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As you probably know, TheSite.org is currently undergoing a revamp, which is seeing new content being written and the pages moving over to the new design. The latest step of this is around Depression and Anxiety, with the aim of helping young people understand of get treatment for any mental health condition which they may be facing.

In order for the content for to useful for you, your input is needed.
    what does depression feel like to you?
    how has it impacted on your daily life?
    what has helped with your recovery?
    is there anything you would like, in an ideal world, to help with your recovery?

A brilliant post over on Hyerbole and a Half is a brilliant insight about one person's life, living with depression.

ADTWO10.png

For me, the simple answer about how depression makes me feel is "shit." I don't want to talk to people, people worry, so they pester me, I feel worse for worrying them, I don't talk and so on. The unpredictability which it causes is horrible - not knowing from one day to the next how I'm going to be feeling makes planning for things hard. Quite often I just want to stay in bed, with my door shut; facing the real, outsider world is a no-go. A lot of the time I feel so disconnected from life and don't know how I am. The internal pain is hard to vocalise.

I've lost friends because of my mental health, but I've also gained some incredible friends. There are two sides to it. I've missed out on opportunities because I've been too unwell, but equally, I've been given opportunities which I wouldn't have otherwise had.

In some respects, I'm lucky, because my close friends are very understanding and will go out of their way to help, whether that's sending me a funny text or arriving at my flat with a bag, blowing up the airbed and sleeping on the sitting room floor for a few nights. Having people like that around me has helped massively. In an ideal world though, there wouldn't be cuts to budgets meaning waiting lists of months. Knowing that out of hours support was better would also help- mental illness isn't 9-5 on a Monday to Friday and this needs to be addressed.

Comments

• Options
    "Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. ... It is that absence of being able to envisage that you will ever be cheerful again. The absence of hope. That very deadened feeling, which is so very different from feeling sad. Sad hurts but it's a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different." - J K Rowling

Blurt Foundation shared that on Facebook this morning. Agree 100%. I used to tell people that depression feels like a Dementor's Kiss.

PS. I LOVE Hyperbole and a Half!
  • Options
    ADTWO8.png
  • Options
    but then it starts to feel again.
    DEPRESSIONTWO8.2.png
  • Options
    One of my friends who is a nerd has done the "maybe everything isn't hopeless" image as a cross-stitch. Brilliant.