Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

probably just a blip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel really crap. Emotionally and physically. To a certain extent, that is to be expected, it's only been a week since I had surgery and I've also got a chest infection which is rendering me pretty useless. Plus my usual routine is messed up and I've realised that I reply on routine very heavily.

But I think it might be a bit more than that. I don't know. I'm really emotional, crying at the most ridiculous things...I tried to pick something up off the floor and I couldn't and I ended up sobbing. Then I cried more because crying hurt. Repeat.

I'm feel of self-loathing about myself, which has manifested itself into self harm, and quite a lot of it. I ended up being readmitted into hospital for a night last week due to the chest infection; the nurses were already very observant of my mental state (can't knock them, they were doing their job) but it got to the point where I couldn't cry without them asking if I wanted to speak to someone from psych. Can they bring my oxygen levels up? No. Can they take anyway some of the pain I'm in? No. Can they take back the surgery and make sure it goes right? No. I don't want to talk because right now I don't see the point. I'm angry and I don't know why. They will force me to take meds again, despite me stating very clearly, to numerous people that I refuse. I have my reasons, the main one being that I was still very up and down on them- coming off them hasn't made a vast difference. Meds alone aren't the magic answer.

I've put on weight. Cue responses from friends of "no you haven't...and if you have, you really needed to." I either have, or I haven't, don't be passive negative with me. All I can think about is when I'm strong enough to go to the gym again.

Last night, my friend who I'm staying with, spent the night at her mum's. I turned my phone off and went to bed, I didn't want to talk or do anything. This worried her, so she contacted the police, who checked up on me to ensure I was alive. Of course I was. They left after I agreed to ring my GP in the morning... I did that and she's on leave for two weeks.

Other things are making me feel crap. A childhood friend passed away two weeks ago. I missed her funeral because of location and not being mobile enough. Her family understood, but I feel horrible for not being there. My grandfather is very ill and has stated he wants me with him for all hospital visits etc. Again, I'm not mobile enough. He's upset and not well enough to understand that I want to be with him more than anything, I just can't *get* there. I also have no money. I mentioned in chat a while back, that my tax code has been messed up, I contacted the tax people although stuff has been sorted, I can't claim the money back until the end of the financial year. I need that money for rent. I'm not fit to work over summer and I have no idea how I'm going to pay rent, bills and uni fees and support myself without the money I should have been earning, on top of my student loan being reduced.

So yes, this probably is just a blip and things will improve at some point, but right this moment, the bad habits/thoughts are winning.

Comments

• Options
    You're right. It probably is just a blip but that doesn't make it any less rubbish to you at the moment.

Surgery sucks. Big time. Surgery also knocks you for six - whatever the surgery is. People often underestimate how much just the anaesthetic bit is like being hit by a train to a lot of people. If you've got a chest infection on top of that then I'm not surprised you're feeling run down.

I clearly can't comment on whether or not you've put on weight - but if you've got physical health problems then whether you have or haven't shouldn't be the number one issue. My guess is that your friends are trying to tell you that your weight looks fine - try not to hunt for the negative in what they're saying.

There are clearly a lot of people who care for you - that's a really good thing and will help with your recovery.

Can you focus on the little bits and making progress with them to try and see the light in the recovery. I found setting tiny goals, and achieving them, helped a lot more than trying to be 'normal' because then I'd just get upset when I couldn't manage something, because I was still healing, and cry, which hurt etc etc.

Making cup of tea.

Walking up the stairs only stopping for a break 3 times. Then 2 times, etc.
  • Options
    Thank you Scary Monster.

I had a reaction to the anaesthetic which didn't help, so that that respect the initial recovery took longer.

The tiny goals is a good idea, I think the problem there is not having any desire to do anything. I'm spending most of the time locked in my room because I can't face the outside, healthy world. I went to the shop round the corner, and a little brat kicked my crutches and laughed.
  • Options
    Making it to the shop around the corner is a pretty massive achievement. Also, if you had a reaction to the anaesthetic, then the chances are that it will take a fair while for the last effects of that to wear off. Depends what the reaction was, but we reckoned with me it took at least a month for the after effects to fully wear off.

Are there things you can do in the outside healthy world where being on crutches is less obvious? Depends on circumstances obviously, but things like meeting a friend for coffee, or even going on your own and just sitting somewhere different and reading the paper/magazines.
  • Options
    The only place which appeals is the river, but I'm aware of how much that will stress people out. Me saying that I won't jump is pointless as I have said it before and jumped- I can't blame people for not trusting me in that respect. Giving myself the temptation isn't the best idea either. Also heat, chest infections and crutches combined make me want to collapse.

I'm torn between needing a someone, preferably someone who will calm me down, or telling everyone to piss off. Times like this I just need a mum.
  • Options
    Is there someone who can give you a lift to a coffee shop - with air conditioning?

Probably not your first choice of places to go - but delivered to pretty close to the door. Cool. Change of scenery. Very limited distance to cover.

A garden centre coffee shop would be ideal - but I don't know where you live.
  • Options
    None of my friends have cars, too expensive to run. Once I'm a bit more steady and can guarantee my breathing will be okay I will probably get the bus somewhere.

Just need to Keep Going until then. I hate being reduced to minute by minute or hour by hour living, it's a slap in the face reminder that I'm not okay or fine, despite telling everyone I am.
  • Options
    Scary's said all the useful things I had to say, but just to add, we all love you ella <3
  • Options
    When you get closer to being able to do it, how about getting one of your friends to meet you at yours, and then get the bus with you somewhere. Protection from small children, elderly ladies not looking where they're going knocking u over.
  • Options
    Love you sister :heart:
  • Options
    thank you :heart:

My friend who I'm staying with has said she'll go somewhere with me if I want. Things are very tense with us after the police incident, which is making me feel worse.
  • Options
    How about trying to think of somewhere - pretty much anywhere you could go. Getting out and about might reassure both of you.

How far is the bus stop from where you're staying? Even if you just go on a bus ride to watch the world go by and get a change of scenery.
  • Options
    I have to go out today, as much as I don't want to. I'm meeting the physio rehab team in hospital (should have been yesterday but I cancelled). I don't know how to answer their question of "what would you like to be able to do again?" Because all I want to do is be able to go to the gym for as long as I want to and I don't think they are willingly going to help with that and I think they might alter the rehab plan if they find out that my aim from it is to lose weight, not be walking and mobile.

The bus stop is about a 5 minute walk, without crutches. If it wasn't for the fact that I need to pretty much take out a loan to be able to afford a 20 minute bus ride into the city I would be jumping on the bus, so I would rather wait until I feel well enough at the other end of the journey to be able to do something rather than wasting £5 and not getting anything out of it.
  • Options
    What else would you like to be able to do again?

Walk to the shops?
    Walk into town to meet friends?
    Wear high heels?
    Go the gym and be able to run 10km?
    Walk up stairs on a bus without fear of falling?
    Walk to the corner shop?
    Be able to do Zumba/dance (slightly different requirements to running)?
  • Options
    Wear heels. I'm meant to be going to be a wedding in August and the thought of being in flats doesn't appeal.
    Be able to use the cross trainer, tread-mill and bikes in the gym.
    Know I will be able to walk to uni in September (20-30 minutes) and manage on campus.

I want to me again. But that is more than just a physio thing.
  • Options
    There you go. You've got some perfectly reasonable, normal life goals.

Yes, you want to be you again. Yes, you're right a physio can't fix that - but you're heading down exactly the right track with picking the bits of normal life that they can have an influence on and working on those.
  • Options
    "you're only 22, we usually see people in your condition who are a lot older" << not helpful.

"oh dear, self harm. Well we won't be having *that* going on when you're under the rehab team" << not helpful.

"Being pregnant won't have helped you, did you consider that?" << ages ago, really not helpful.

I'm not fine. I feel close to breaking point.
  • Options
    No, definitely not helpful.

However, to turn it all inside out.

You're only 22. We usually see people who are a lot older. >> Therefore you are young, you heal and repair better, and they can make progress with a lot quicker than most of their other patients.

Oh dear. Self harm. >> Yeah well. It's not really their problem is it. Possibly suboptimal - but life isn't perfect. If gets brought up as an issue again then point out that it's a coping mechanism and if can get this side of things sorted then there will be one thing crossed of the list of things that cause you grief.

Being pregnant won't have helped >> Funnily enough, it wasn't the only consideration in being pregnant, and that's a past event that can't be changed. Can we please deal with moving forward. No plans to become pregnant again any time soon (I'm assuming) therefore it's not an issue we need to consider further.

Hugs.
  • Options
    Everything Scary has said.

Also, can I come kick them in the shins?
  • Options
    Also, can I come kick them in the shins?

Yes.

Scary Monster, everything you have said makes sense, I should be able to see it that way, rather than getting upset over the comments, but it came at a time when I'm already feeling shitty about myself and has knocked me further.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised its knocked u. I'm with franki in wanting to beat them up for u. Or adapting your crutches so u can zap bad people with them.

Hugs.
  • Options
    A friend stayed up all night talking to me. That was good because it stopped me doing the things I wanted to do so badly.

Uni results back from this year, I've come out with a high 2:1. Should be happy. I'm not. I'm upset and angry with myself for fucking up and not getting a first.
  • Options
    I'm feeling a lot better than a few days ago :)

I had physio and hydrotherapy this morning, mini freak out because my physio has changed but otherwise okay, and I spoke to the rehab team who made the comments last time, pretty much to say that I didn't appreciate them and in the case of self harm, I'd rather have an honest conversation with them, instead of being made to feel inadequate. They understood and we've moved forward.

Only thing that arose today which has concerned me is my physio wants me in the gym 3-4 times a week, outside of physio, to build my strength up. I think I'm going to find it really hard to go and not obsess about weight. This will equal being in the gym 6 days a week, including time in the physio gym or pool. Even today in the session I was thinking more of how many calories I was burning, not about building strength. I don't know how to break that mindset, or if I can.
  • Options
    For various reasons, I am struggling. Almost afraid to admit it, but I am deeply unhappy at the moment.
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hugs. Not sure what to say. But I am here to listen if you need a chat ♡

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    I had a bad night, today isn't going well as a result. Differentiating between what's real and what is just stuff in my head is really hard and I'm scared about sleeping tonight.

Recovery from surgery has had a major set back and I'm facing further surgery.

Next week is Isla's anniversary. And I miss her, more than I can possibly put into words.

I feel too low to cry. Too low to actually do anything. That disconnection is somehow making everything worse.