Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

university!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey. anyone els getting ready or waiting for results this summer? moving away for the first time? i'm scared about how i'm going to cope mentally. Anyone els experiencing the same? or anyone been through it? . What was you experience of freshers or the first year? please leave a comment. hoping to hear back from you :)x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hello :wave:

I'm currently in my final year but remember first year well! I was lucky in that I did a BTEC so didn't have to wait for my grades...when do you find out yours??

With freshers and moving out - I would suggest going out to as many of the uni organised things as you can. Your university's students union will probably have a website, which will tell you what they are running/lists of what to take with you and freshers fayre is definitely a must (I am gutted that I have missed mine every year due to working or being ill!) I don't know if every uni does it but my uni have interest groups for pretty much everything; from, drama to art to photography to fishing to psychology. You name it, there is a group for it. Its a great way to get involved and meet others with similar interests to you.

First year in general is similar from moving from GCSEs to A Levels. Its a big difference and at uni you have to be much more self-motivated because you don't get anyone breathing down your neck about making sure you meet deadlines. Saying that, it is much more friendly/laid back and I would imagine its lovely having your own independence (I stayed at home).

In terms of coping - have you looked into the Uni's wealth fare services? Most SU's offer advice on everything from housing to finance, etc and I would imagine the uni has a counselling service. The biggest thing I would suggest is that if you do find it hard to cope, make sure you keep your course tutors informed (you will probably be provided with one main contact, such as a programme co-ordinator) who will liaise with all your lecturers on your behalf where necessary and utilise the wellbeing services they have available. Also, don't forget to register with the GP practice they should have either on campus or located nearby as they can be another form of help too :)

Overall though uni can be a really fun place to be and I am sure you will enjoy it/make friends who you will be in contact with for life :)