Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Arrogance, and the wrong way to fight it

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
The truth is, I seem to be quite arrogant by "nature". I feel very satisfied when I turn out to be more right than others on something, or when I think of something that others haven't, and so on. Although in many other cases I'm wrong or don't think of something etc. In any case, if I start thinking I'm good at something, I feel myself becoming arrogant about it.

I dislike arrogance in others very much and so I don't like it in myself either. I think that was why I began to put myself down at some point in the past -although tbh that's just my theory. Making myself think dwell on the cases when I'm wrong etc seems/seemed to balance the arrogance, so that the "end result" was someone who's neither arrogant nor feels useless.

I used to think that worked, but now I'm not so sure. I've noticed that my arrogance still comes out in many ways, and at the same time dwelling on my mistakes makes me afraid to try many things where I think I'd fail. They may be balancing each other in part, but other parts still work separately.

So, I guess I have to find a way to tone down the arrogance and raise my self-confidence, without having them battle each other. I've no idea how to do the former and, although I'm sure I've seen a lot of advice on the latter, I think I didn't want to take it in until recently (for the reasons I described).

I hope the above makes sense.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Arrogance can often be a sign of lack of confidence. They come together very often, so if you raise your confidence it's likely to counter the arrogance naturally. But it's a great start that you have the awareness to realise that (not that I am agreeing with you, I don't really know because online we only show the side we want people to see most of the time), but it's a big stepping stone towards better self confidence.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Work on your confidence!

Hey hun,
    it's good that you've recognised that this might be an issue for you. Don't panic, once you realise it's an issue, it should't be too hard to solve! In order to tone down your arrogance, you just need to up your self confidence-if your confident at something, you won't need arrogance to carry you, because you'll be good at it anyway.

To up your confidence, start by speaking to new people; even if it's only one person at school/college you've never spoken to before or the guy in the shop you always avoid eye contact with because you're scared. Just get out there and talk to people. Practice starting conversation and your confidence will start to increase :)

If you would like any advice etc, feel free to inbox me!
    FrogsandRainbows.X
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It sounds like I've been fighting fire with fire... Thanks for the replies. :)