Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

proving i live as a single person

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi everyone, i hope someone can help me. since my marriage broke up i have been classed as homeless for nearly 2 years now. despite this i went back to college and did really well, i have been offered a place at university but after all my hard work student finance are not going to give me any financial help unless i can prove to them i am living as a single person. we are not divorced and because i dont have a home i have no council bills, i dont know were to turn. i have bank statements and a single persons working tax credit awards notice both at my postal address but this is all i have, they say they will accept a solicitors letter but i have phoned a few and they all said they would not write one as i dont have enough proof. i really have worked hard to get to uni and this is the only chance i have to get accomodation and really turn my life around. can anyone help please?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Student Finance are 50% evil and 50% incompetent, getting money from them should be so simple but is infact so hard. Have you tried speaking to the Citizes advice bureau? They could perhaps help you think of ways to prove you were homeless.
  • Options
    thank you, yes i went today and it was closed! will go back on monday
  • Options
    CAB know fuck all about student finance. Speak to the Uni you've applied to.

It'll be hard to prove independence but may be possible
  • Options
    I didnt say ANYTHING about going to CAB aout student finance,I said about providing evidence of his homelessness. No need to swear, geeze.