Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ever met one of your heroes?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

So in chat last night,

MrsM shared an amazing picture of her meeting Joe McEldery!! (yes I had to check how to spell that).

Has anyone else ever met one of their heroes? Where was it and what did you say to them? Or did you just blank it in nervous excitement? :hyper: :blush:

Cheesy pictures are welcome if you want to share....

Comments

• Options
    Iam going to meet a famous singer in dember with my mum :D this year cont wait
  • Options
    I met a few of the Liverpool football players, wouldn't say they are heroes but I am a fan :)

The best was probably when I met Steven Gerrard and got his autograph on a shirt, didn't know what to say to him :blush: Also met Jamie Carragher and Joe Cole who were lovely and had a photo with them.

Would love to meet Chris Martin from Coldplay though, that would be freaking awesome.
  • Options
    Did I mention that Fiend and I met Neil Gaiman? Not sure if it's come up...

I met a few authors in my time as a bookseller (Stephen Fry and Bill Bryson were my favourites). One, who shall remain nameless, doodled in my book whilst flirting with my friend!

Generally when I meet people I really admire, I fall to pieces and become stupid and shy.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Have met Matt Le Tissier a number of times. A couple of times when he came to play golf and I was a greenkeeper and a coupl eof times in my local. Decent bloke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I used to work in radio about 6 years ago and in my time there I got to meet some of my childhood heroes, among others Paul Daniels and Shakin' Stevens (I was born in the 70s...).

As a kid I was well in to magic, my parents bought me all his magic sets so when I was given his mobile number and told to call him to ask him on the show for an interview (it was when he came out of "I'm A Celebrity...) I was looking forward to chatting to Paul Daniels however he wasn't the man I thought he'd be. Once he'd agreed to the interview I mentioned I was a huge fan as a kid and had all his magic sets etc he didn't even reply, he just gave a very audible sigh and hung up.

A few months later I interviewed Shakin' Stevens just after he did that show Hit Me Baby One More Time. I can't knock the guy, he was very friendly but......immensely dull. The interview wasn't very taxing, he had some copies of his album to give away so we wanted to do a quiz where listeners guessed the answer to things like "We asked Shakey what is his favourite biscuit?" etc but sometimes getting answers out of him was like pulling teeth. I felt a bit guilty as I used to think he was awesome when I was 8 or 9 but face-to-face I was disappointed to find he was so devoid of personality.
  • Options
    Not a hero but I met Stephen Mulhern last summer at a theme park. I also got to see Gok in the flesh when he came to a work conference back at the end of 2011 :) Also my primary school used to invite a sports person every year for some sports event we used to do...I met Darren Campbell, Ewen Thomas and a few others who I don't know the names of!
  • Options
    I've met Jacqueline Wilson, she was lovely. Also Peter Crouch, although he isn't a hero. Ummm, Robert Plant and the Buzzcocks while I was working at festivals, didn't really chat to them though.
    And I bumped into Itch Fox in Brighton but didn't have a chance to speak to him :(
  • Options
    I've met Jacqueline Wilson, she was lovely.

Oh, me too! I forgot! I was drunk but she was still lovely.
  • Options
    The most famous person I met was Jimmy Saville, which was underwhelming before all the furore, but is now just a bit wrong. Especially as it was at my primary school summer fair :(

Never met a hero. Except Jim V ;)
  • Options
    In may I met pin up model Bertie dexter (google) at a rock n roll weekender who was buying a dress from the same stand as me, gave me advice on which one to buy and even said I was cute and should enter the pin up contest!!! I didn't but it made my whole day, I couldn't get over how nice and down to earth she was!
  • Options
    Oh and I met Rachel Stevens at a show too. Gorgeous but disappointingly stroppy.