Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Long term opiate use and bowels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just been out on some new pain meds that are not so dissimilar to morphine (tapentadol). I've been on them for a few days and I've already started to become constipated. I have IBS as it is, and I'm worried about being like this long term. I'm also worried about how much of a come down I'm having at the tail end of the doses. I take 50mg every 4-6 hours and I try to aim for 6 hours not 4. Would slow release tablets have less of this come down effect? I end up feeling really anxious and upset almost.

Comments

• Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Miss_Riot

Sorry to read that, that doesn't sounds nice :(

If you're getting unexpected symptoms, it might be a good idea to speak to the person that prescribed them as soon as you can and see what they recommend. You could also give NHS Direct a call.

Danny
  • Options
    I've been prescribed dulcoease and senna but neither are working. I'm also wondering what changes to my diet might make a difference. I'm drinking loads of water and having natural yoghurt, but I'm wondering what else I should be doing
  • Options
    I know it's difficult for you - but I was told that exercise and movement is one of the biggest factors.
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother with NHS direct for drug advice. Talk to a pharmacist, esp. a hospital pharmacist if you can. Hospital pharmacists are usually a much higher level and know a lot more and they'll have quicker access to info about interactions and stuff, or your consultant, if you have one.

All-Bran's always got me going, or there's stuff called, iirc, Movicol. I don't 'think' you need a scrip as it has no drugs in it. It's used for long term constipation and in high dose/short use to 'clean you out' before you have a camera up there.
  • Options
    The problem I often have is having too much insoluble fibre in my diet does the same thing! it seems like such a delicate balance!! I know I can't use things like senna long term and movicol hasn't really made much difference to me in the past, so I think I'm going to have to go back to my pharmacist (could I just call up the hospital pharmacist for advice, or would the medication have had to been dispensed by themselves?) like you guys suggested. I am starting to do more exercise but its really difficult to do very much as it causes more pain. I'm so sore now, I don't think I care what I have to do to sort it, I just want it done!!

I'll let you know what suggestions they come back with about it!
  • Options
    Called my pharmacist and he gave me totally contradictory info to what I'd been given before.

Go back to the GP about it or do I try calling the hospital pharmacy?
  • Options
    Forgot about this, sorry.

You need to speak to someone who has experience of the drugs you take and that'll probably be a hospital pharmacist. They're far more qualified than your local chemsts shop (well, all the hospital pharmacists i've known have been). It could easily not be the drug, but something else in the pill. HIV drugs are notorious for giving you the shits, a lot of them contain a substance (can't remember what it is or what it does) that is actually used as a laxative. If that's the case with your analgesics, a hosp. pharmacist will be trained/qualified enough to prepare you a solution (if possible) of your drug without the added thing that's making you constipated.

Also, they'll probably be able to tell you how you're being made constipated and suggest a suitable remedy. For instance, i get a lot of tension headaches. I take pain killers, the pain goes for a bit then comes back. But if i take low dose (2mg) diazepam for a coupla days, the muscles relax and no more headache :) So, in this case, treating the cause is better than treating the symptom.

And one more thing, hospital pharmacists have better access to drug interaction data, so it could well be that too.

Do you see a consultant for the condition that requires you to take these tablets ? Maybe a quick call to her/him would help or the clinic sister.
  • Options
    I do see a consultant and he suggested these meds to my GP so I'll give the nurse a go first then the hospital pharmacist
  • Options
    Good. You're in consultant led treatment so that'll make it easier with people 'Dr Blah de Blah gave me these pills and..' :)

Does your clinic have it's own pharmacist ? Not all do, but mine does and that would be an excellent place to go to.
  • Options
    No it doesn't, which is silly considering its the pain clinic...
  • Options
    Ok, so i called my pharmacist who said go to your GP. I tried the hospital pharmacy who said go to out of hours.

My mother is angry because i've been trying medical stuff over her natural stuff. So the next step is a warm olive pack and belly massage followed by hydrated chia seeds. I feel like a stuffed pig already, I'm not sure how it'll work.

Tbh, i think I'm probably fairly impacted by now, so i probably need either a good dose of picolax (don't know if i can get that over the counter) or an enema. Neither are nice. I'm in pain and i'd rather just do the quickest option.
  • Options
    Called the out of hours and they've given me something else to take and blamed my diet, when my diet is pretty good. So i'll take it Nd see and probably end up going back to the GP....again!
  • Options
    Hi Miss_Riot

It sounds like you have been doing a lot around sorting out your IBS. I have IBS too so I feel your pain :yes:

The medication and trying to find a diet that suits you best takes time but you have been doing the right thing. It definitely sounds good that you have been trying to eat different things and recognising you need to change your diet.

I know you probably know all this already but check out the link of the site that explains IBS http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/generalhealth/healthatoz/irritablebowelsyndrome

I also find that when eating my meals to eat slowly and to eat smaller portions which helps ease the pain.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the medication and fingers crossed that you won't have to see your G.P again for a little while :thumb:

purple_rain
  • Options
    Two words: prune juice!

:D