Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bloody Freeview... Help me? O:-)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, after 2 days of battling this Im ready to launch the TV out the window, so any tips or cleverness will be hugely appreciated.

We have just moved. We have a TV with freeview built in, and a indoor aerial (I know they're not great, but sadly is our only option).
In our old room, this was fine, we sometimes had to move the aerial to get a perfect signal depending on the channel, but nothing we couldnt live with.
Here... Well. After two days of constantly repositioning the aerial and trying to tune it, I have got as far as if it is stretched right over to the window, it will pick up some channels, but not many, and if a car goes past, it cuts out completely - we live in a ground floor room on a busy street, so not ideal.
Anywhere else in the room, nothing.
Any ideas? The aerial worked fine before, I don't understand!

Comments

• Options
    The aerial worked fine before because you were lucky. We haven't got a roof top aerial and we can't get Freeview with an internal aerial.

You could be on a relay transmitter and they're notorious for poor signal. Have a look outside and see where the aerials are pointing, try to keep yours pointing that way.

One other possibility, 4G inteferrance. www.at800.tv for more info.
  • Options
    Have you tried putting it near the window and opening the window?

It's probably a problem with the construction of the building rather than the aerial as such. Depending on how it's built it can be difficult for the signal to get through the walls. Opening windows or doors might help. You get also get special signal booster aerials. Or an extension aerial cable and hang it out the window. First things first I'd try getting the aerial as close to an open window as you can and try that.
  • Options
    The part of the window I can get it too doesnt open (its a bay window), and this is where the cars going past comes into play... We cant really leave the door open either.

*sigh* this is going to be a long battle.
  • Options
    @Rubberskin - I hadnt thought about the 4G thing, I have seen stuff about it though, may have to look into that. Im off to see which way the aerials point now (while buying cigarettes... i think I've earnt one!)
  • Options
    Can you move the TV to closer to the window while you experiment?
  • Options
    Not really, I can move it, but i wont be able to reach the open parts of the window unless its held in the air. So I'll need the best mate to hurry up home i think lol