Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

red-ish velvet cake

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I tried to make a red velvet cake recently for a friends birthday, because they're mine and hers favourite, but it turned out green?!

I've made one in the past and it was red, and this time I didn't accidently used green instead of red or anything silly like that - any idea on what went wrong? :)

Comments

• Options
    Copper untensils or blue based red colouring (the blue will interact with the yellow of the egg and make green).
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Copper untensils or blue based red colouring (the blue will interact with the yellow of the egg and make green).

oh right okay thanks, so is there anyway i can make sure it wont go green, or is it just a chance i have to take? :)
  • Options
    Don't use copper for baking/mixing, remember things like sppons too, also bronze stuff though they're not common. I've never made a velvet cake so had a look see on the net and that's a lot of colouring (2 tablespoons) plus things like vinegar and bicarb, so that's a lot of chemistry going on :) So it could also of been a chemical reaction between the colouring and the acid.

If you go to a professional cake decorating shop, they'll have a whole range of colours AND you see what the base is. You'd want black based red (dark red) or red based red (err red:) ) or maybe yellow based red, if they do that, (lighter red>>orangey). they are expensive but you use a lot less to get the desired colour and they don't go off like supermarket colourings.
  • Options
    thankyou so much!:D