Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breast cancer.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All

Someone very close to was diagnosed with breast cancer last week, she is in her late 20s and found a lump, luckily went to the GP straight away but obviously its been a big and horrible shock. The prognosis is looking positive for treatment (its stage 1) but I am really struggling with it. Just looking for anyone who has maybe been through it/knows someone who has been and can give me any advice on what I could do to be helpful etcetc

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Girl_Gunner,

I don't have much advice around 'breast cancer' however, my Grandfather had died due to 'Lung cancer' - but because he got the diagnosis pretty late, he didn't get the right support he needed, your friend was right to go to her GP when she noticed the lump, and due to the fact she was found during the early signs, their more of a chance for her to be treated.

It can be difficult when we have a friend close to us who was cancer, have you spoken to her about it? Maybe it's about reassuring one and another and really just being there for her? There?s really not much you can do to be honest, other than just being there for her, and letting her be there for you, and reassuring one and another.

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    One of my friends had cancer, albeit not breast cancer. One of the things she seemed most keen on was when people still treated her like a normal person. She's not suddenly turned into a fine china plate overnight, she's not an invalid, and what defines her as a person hasn't changed.

Yes, she's got a shitty medical condition, which isn't going to be much fun to deal with - but that doesn't change who she is as a person, or what she likes doing. Also, it's far worse for her than it is for you - which may sound a little blunt, but she's got enough on her plate without also worrying what the impact it's having on her friends are.

Obviously everyone is different, but my suggestion would be to be alert for issues - but also to roughly carry on as normal.
  • Options
    One of my friends had cancer, albeit not breast cancer. One of the things she seemed most keen on was when people still treated her like a normal person. She's not suddenly turned into a fine china plate overnight, she's not an invalid, and what defines her as a person hasn't changed.

A relative of mine was the same. He didn't want to asked how he and wanted to be treated as normal.
  • Options
    Thanks all for your replies. Just trying to carry on not as normal but like you said not as though she is bone china.