Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cahms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an appointment for next wednesday at cahms and I'm a bit nervous about it, even though I have counselling at school.

I already don't have the most positive thoughts of cahms, due to them sending the letter addressed to my parents, and my dad opening it, when he knows nothing about it. I know it wasn't their fault my dad opened it, but shouldn't it have been addressed to me? My counsellor at school was shocked it was sent to my parents and not me, because I'm 16.

I've read other posts about cahms, but the questions they asked were specific to them - obviously. I was just wondering what are they going to do on my first visit? Will it be difficult questions? Will they ask me if I want to stop cutting? Will they ask me what I want out of this? - Because I don't know the answers to these.

Will counselling there, be different to the one I get at school? Caue at school it's different, I know the poeople there, where as at cahms I'll be an outsider - kind of. I'm just nervous and wondered if anyone could tell me more about it?

Thanks xx

Comments

• Options
    letters from CAMHS will always be sent to your parents because it's a service for children and adolescents, so you aren't considered to be an adult, even though you are 16. you might find that at some point you have letters addressed to you but your parents would still be sent a copy.

your first appointment will be an assessment, so you'll be asked some general questions about what's been happening and what you're struggling with. it's nothing to worry about, you just need to be honest and tell them as much as possible so that they can get as much information as they can to make the right decision about your care. they might ask you what you want, both in terms of what you want from them and what you want for yourself in the future. it doesn't matter if you don't know, it's not a test. you can say you don't know if that's the truth.

the person who assesses you will want to talk to your parents, they will probably ask you whether you want to speak to them on your own and then invite your parents in, or if you want them there for the whole time. you might not want your parents involved but the clinician will need to ask some questions about when you were younger, so it's best for your parents to be able to tell them things that you might not remember.

when you've had the assessment the clinician will go back to their team and make a decision about what is best for you. it might be some kind of counselling and if it is, it will be different to school counselling in the sense that it will probably be more time limited, and more focused on change and moving forward than on just giving you someone to talk to. you'd have to see what you were offered because different psychologists/therapists/counsellors work in different ways and use different approaches. remember that they wouldn't be an 'outsider' for long.

CAMHS is a service that is there to help you, so try not to worry too much.
  • Options
    Hey cutesmileyfun

It's great that you're keen to find out as much as you can about this service - it should help you feel more prepared and confident about your appointments if you know more about it.

It's really normal to feel a bit apprehensive about starting anything new - and when it's linked to your mental health it is a particularly sensitive area. But try to remember that in the long-term it should be worth going through this short period of uncertainty. It won't be long before you'll know everyone by name and know what to expect from your meetings.

I won't go on because the other users have much better knowledge to reassure you, but I just wanted to let you know about this information on YoungMinds about CAHMS - obviously it's much more factual than the brilliant insight you can get here from other users, but hopefully it will help to explain a few more things to you.

Let us know how your first appointment goes - good luck!
    :thumb:
  • Options
    thankyou all for replying :) xx
  • Options
    So I went to cahms today, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, which is good:D Thanks, for the support! *hug*
  • Options
    Great stuff so glad to hear you gave it a chance .... Have they given you another appointment? :thumb:

Dp :heart:
  • Options
    They have to write up the notes and that, then they'll get back to me in roughly 2 weeks :)