Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Measles- how dangerous?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

Basically my little sister has measles (they're fairly sure it's measles, although they wont be able to take her to a doctor until tomorrow) she has a rash and is severely ill. She's had the rash for 2/3 days already and has been ill for about a week I think.

I'm supposed to be going up to see them on Wednesday, however I have not had my MMR vaccine... how likely is it that I am going to catch her measles? And also, how dangerous will it be for me? According to the NHS website, she wont be infectious by the time I'm there but my dad says she's getting worse and not better, so I'm not sure how true that is.

I know it can potentially kill my dad, but this is because he's on immunosuppressants etc. but he's told me not to think or worry about it for now.

Is going up there going to be a good idea or am I going to get very ill? It's my sisters birthday on the 6th and I do really want to see them all because I haven't seen them since January, and if I don't go up now I wont see them till June :( What do I do?!

Comments

• Options
    Considering the potential implications and the fact that your sister is still quite young, if they haven't been contacted already it's probably worth ringing the out of hours GP. If I remember correctly a child with measles won't be welcomed with open arms at a GP surgery because they'll be contagious. Out of hours will also be able to give better, more personalised advice than NHS direct.

Hope your sister starts to feel better soon :heart:
  • Options
    My dad said this morning that there isn't much point her seeing a doctor as they can't actually treat measles but I think he's phoning the GP's tomorrow to see what they say. I think measles is more a case of rest and keeping fluids up as it's viral and can't be helped with antibiotics :(

If she hasn't seen a doctor by Wednesday when I get there though I'll speak to my dad about it and phone one myself, because he'll need a blood test which he is avoiding at the moment, and she'll need to be checked for complications. Hopefully she'll be alright, poor things been ill on and off since November :(
  • Options

If she hasn't seen a doctor by Wednesday when I get there though I'll speak to my dad about it and phone one myself, because he'll need a blood test which he is avoiding at the moment, and she'll need to be checked for complications. Hopefully she'll be alright, poor things been ill on and off since November :(

I'm probably being over cautious in my reply, but the fact that she's been ill off and on since November makes me think that it's appropriate to contact out of hours. Better to be safe etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    how come she hasnt been vaccinated if your dad is on immunosuppresants??

Id call the hospital tbh and i certainly wouldnt visit. measles is something you really dont want to catch
  • Options
    how come she hasnt been vaccinated if your dad is on immunosuppresants??

Id call the hospital tbh and i certainly wouldnt visit. measles is something you really dont want to catch

I think she has been vaccinated, but I haven't. My dad said he didn't think it was measles because she's been vaccinated but when I spoke to him this morning they were fairly sure it was measles. She gets ill alot though, she's had chicken pox 3 times bless her :( He said he'd call me this afternoon but never did so I'm not sure if they saw the doctor or not, I'll phone tomorrow.

If it is measles will I definitely catch it when I go up, even though she'll have had the rash for 5 days?
  • Options
    If it is measles will I definitely catch it when I go up, even though she'll have had the rash for 5 days?

Do you want to risk it?
  • Options
    Do you want to risk it?

She's my sister and if I don't go up there I wont see her till June or July which will be 5/6 months without seeing her which is horrible, she'll be devastated :( I don't know what to do.
  • Options
    Okay so my dads just called, she got rushed to the children's hospital last night because she was hallucinating and totally disorientated... they saw loads of doctors because nobody knew what was wrong, and they finally said it's the worst case of tonsillitis they've ever seen. She's got a rash over her whole body now.

She's been put on penicillin four times a day and given a throat spray (which she's refused to use because it tastes funny) hopefully she'll start getting better now though.

I'm going up there tomorrow and will inevitably catch tonsillitis but I'm not too fussed as long as it isn't as severe as hers! My step-mums got a sore throat already, but my dad *touch wood* is alright at the moment. He's been sleeping on the sofa and cleaning everything to an OCD level apparently :lol: thanks for all your advice guys.
  • Options
    the poor thing. Its really unusual to catch Cpox 3 times and to be so ill. have they looked in to why her immune system seems so vulnerable??
  • Options
    I'm not sure, I don't think they did yesterday but I'll speak to my dad tomorrow.
    She gets ill a lot, she has a dairy allergy and I think sometimes she'll be ill with a reaction and then catch anything and everything that's going round at school because she's already ill. My dad said a lot of her friends have sore throats, so I think she's just caught the worst of it.
    Hopefully she'll be getting better now though, as much as I don't want to catch her illness I'm going up tomorrow regardless. My dad's told her that they're going to have to move her birthday celebrations to another day, and she was crying in the background saying "is Niamh still coming?" :( bless her. I've bought her a zhu zhu hamster ice cream shop, so hopefully that'll cheer her up!
  • Options
    I used to catch tonsilitis all the time and even had glandular fever once but was never that ill. Poor thing
  • Options
    Thought I'd let you all know that I arrived today and she seems *touch wood* to be getting better. I tasted a blob of her medicine and it is vile so I'm very impressed she's taking it! Thank you all for your replies, I'll let you know how she is in the next few days. :) She's still got a rash and everything but she could talk today and she ate some cereal.

Ballerina- if I catch her tonsillitis will it just go away with throat sweets etc. (as long as it's mild) or will I have to see a doctor? I've never had it before I don't think.
  • Options
    I've had it that many times my body can usually get rid of it in a few days, but 2 years ago I was run down and stressed during my dissertation and just couldn't fight it off and had to go on antibiotics for the first time in years. It was usually more irritating than actually making me ill, but I caught a nasty one - even the doctor was shocked at the state of my tonsils. If you get antibiotics it's usually gone in a week, it just depends how ill you feel and if your body manages to fight it off. It's one of those weird ones where it can range from an annoying sore throat to being knocked out for a week or more
  • Options
    Sorry to drag this back up. I just didn't want to clutter the boards with more threads.

My sister is ill again. I'm really worried that she's got something seriously wrong. I spoke to my dad and he wouldn't tell me much other than she's ill. I asked if I'd catch it when I go up there this weekend, and he said "No. It's not infectious. You haven't caught my illness have you?" (he's got severe arthritis) and he said she's going to the hospital for tests.

The doctors have said she can't go to school for the foreseeable future. I'm really scared somethings going to happen to her. I don't know what else to say really. Having a bit of a melt down tonight.
  • Options
    It's good that she is getting tests, ect done. At least she'll be in good care. It's probably best for your dad to talk to you face-to-face. Also that way you'll have your dad about to talk it all through.

*hug* thinking of you. Please stay safe :heart: