Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Homesickness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you get homesick? What do you do to make it go away at the time? And also to stop getting homesick in general?

I'm often so painfully homesick, and I want it to stop :(

Comments

• Options
    Hi Grace :wave:

Sorry you feel homesick *hug* I get homesick at times even though I have lived away from home for 6 years and it's not a nice feeling. Do you go to uni or live quite far away from home?

There is no certain way of stopping it but you will learn to progress from it and move on with your daily life and you will learn to make where you live your home. I find having a routine helps me to distract from feeling homesick. Other ways of distracting yourself is doing things like going to the shops, spending time with friends and finding places of interest.

Do you have any hobbies? Have you made any friendships that will help?
    Here is a link from the site that may help http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/studying/studentlife/homesickness

I hope this helps :heart:

purple_rain
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I found when I lived in Germany making my favourite food and watching a favourite film helped me. Also sometimes just going for a walk to clear my head helped too
  • Options
    Hi Grace :wave:

Sorry you feel homesick *hug* I get homesick at times even though I have lived away from home for 6 years and it's not a nice feeling. Do you go to uni or live quite far away from home?

There is no certain way of stopping it but you will learn to progress from it and move on with your daily life and you will learn to make where you live your home. I find having a routine helps me to distract from feeling homesick. Other ways of distracting yourself is doing things like going to the shops, spending time with friends and finding places of interest.

Do you have any hobbies? Have you made any friendships that will help?
    Here is a link from the site that may help http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/studying/studentlife/homesickness

I hope this helps :heart:

purple_rain

Thank you for your reply, I forgot I made this thread.

I live in another country to my family, so I don't have the comfort of familiar places and things and language. I try to distract myself by doing the things you mentioned but it doesn't always help. Also with my job I'm often too tired to do things like that :(

I don't live with very nice people so what I miss most is being able to just *be* without worrying that I'm doing something wrong and that I'm going to be told off or insulted or something. Then when that happens I miss home even more.

My friends are all so much more capable than me, and don't really get it when I've mentioned how bad I feel sometimes. They're all quite a bit older than me, and even though they do miss their families, it doesn't seem to affect how they live their lives, the way it does me.

I need to learn to get over it, I study languages so I'll be moving around a lot in the future. I don't want everything to be ruined because I get homesick so badly. Lots of people have advised me to move back home but I'm not going to give up on it, I love being here way more than where I live at home, it's just I want my parents and my cat and my bed too.
  • Options
    Hey Grace

I'm just wondering whether, as you've mentioned, your homesickness is mostly due to not living with very nice people. And so you're probably at least as capable as your friends but it feels a lot harder because of the people you have to live with? I get homesick at times, but it tends to be when things with the people I live with are particularly tough. What I'm trying to say is try not to worry about how homesick you'll be in the future when at the moment things are hard with the current family.
  • Options
    :(