Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Red, hard, cracked skin on my hands

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
What I described in the title is something that generally happens to me every year when it gets cold. Normally, kinds of hand cream are enough to "fix" it, and as long as I use them regularly I don't have a problem.
This year I had the same thing in winter, like every year, but it seemed to have come back in the beginning of April. Only now cream doesn't seem to help. That and the fact that it happened "late" makes me think it may be something else.
It's on the back of both hands, especially around the knuckles. I'll keep trying that cream for now but the fact that it's not even cold any more and it keeps happening worries me a bit.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think I should be more worried or less?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ask a pharmacist, looking at it is the best way to know what's going on, and you can get quick advice without booking an appointment with a GP. Also, you can immediately buy anything they think you should be using to fix it.
  • Options
    what cream do you use? if you don't already try an emollient cream, oilatum is good or you can get boots own brand for about £2. if it doesn't clear up ask your doctor for some steroid-based cream (AFAIK you can only get it on prescription).
  • Options
    I've read reviews from various communities about Dream cream by Lush which is designed for angry inflamed dry skin. A lot of people with conditions like psoriasis and eczema have said it has really helped. It's expensive though at £10 a pot but might be worth going to a shop and asking for a sample if the other stuff doesn't work?
  • Options
    I have the same thing - even in the same place! Mine is dermatitis from washing my hands loads (nappies etc). Could it be something like this?

What I find helps is to put the cream on right after washing your hands, while they're still slightly damp. And do it every time you wash them, or get them wet. You go through hand cream like the clappers, but it really helps!

Definitely agree with speaking to a pharmacist, they can be very helpful. Can't help too much with creams *cough*because I steal the baby's eczema cream*cough* but they will definitely know!
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    if it doesn't clear up ask your doctor for some steroid-based cream (AFAIK you can only get it on prescription).

You can buy hydrocortisone cream over the counter, usually under the brand name Hc45. You shouldn't use it long term because it can thin your skin, but it can be helpful now and again when it's particularly bad!
  • Options
    Almond oil at night and wearing cotton gloves makes a big difference. Using moisturising sensitive skin hand wash, and apply cream 3 times a day. Don't use hydrocortisone if you have broken skin - dream cream is good, as is oilatum, cocoa butter, things like that.