Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling low..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:banghead::(So.. I just felt like posting on here because I don't have anyone to turn to so hope someone can reply. I feel as if everything around me is falling apart and people are taking me for a ride. They don't give me a equal chance to sort things out with them. I get left out for no reason and I do so much for people. I might not be perfect but I'm always there for people. I don't like to moan or give people a lecture to them about my problems but people do that to me and I never respond in appropriately. I have called the Samaritans a few times to talk through things and its helped. I've just given up on people and professionals as I've had enough let downs in the past.
People see me as a pushover yet I do so much for them nothing's on purpose. I don't like to be taken advantage of.:no:

I give up trying with people. I'm supposed to be seeing a psychiatrist next week for the first time as he is new. I'm extremely worried whether he will discharge me. I've lived with anxiety and depression nearly all my life. I find it hard to trust new people. I need help that I can accept its just giving up because I've tried again and again. :/:crying:

I don't post on here very often. Any comments or help would be much appreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    not really any advice but didnt want to read and run.
    Just hang in there and keep an open mind about the psychiatrist. See how it goes xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your kind words x
  • Options
    Hiya Sonia

Well done for posting and turning to the boards for some well-needed support.

I just wondered if you could maybe tell us a little more - only if you feel comfortable doing so? You're talking about "people" a lot in your post - are there any people in particular that are behaving this way? If other users can understand what's going on a bit better (e.g. is it relatives, work colleagues etc you're having problems with?) then they may be able to offer some more specific support.

In the meantime, I wanted to echo Suzy's words - try to keep an open mind about the psychiatrist and give him a chance. It can't be easy having to readjust to someone new, but it's good that you're getting help *hug*
  • Options
    Hey Spanner
    Sure- I have had bad experiences in the past, when I was at college/school it was really difficult to trust people and make friends. I'd often get used and not even say no. I guess this is something I need to work on. I find that since my Nan passed away due to tuberculosis in 2006 I found this extremely difficult. I don't like telling anyone how I feel about this and my panic attacks started when this happened. I still relate to people dying as a form of extreme anxiety and making myself so wound up that I see everything happening around me and compare myself to death. I have had therapy for panic attacks but not the bereavement issues.

I have often found it difficult to discuss things and open up with people. I am usually the naive on who says yes to everything no matter how I feel. I am on medication but it only helps so much. I spoke to the hospital and they told me they would do groups for anxiety but I can't seem to talk to people as I feel really worried. Despite this I have tried lots of self help tips and websites and a few organisations who are voluntary I find that I always go about asking them for long term help and think to much about the future.

I often feel ignored and alone because people seem to just care about themselves. I left sixth form in 2009 so I've since been on a gap year due to these problems. I find I don't get on with my younger siblings and because of my anxiety I feel it makes things worse. This might sound crazy but I let others opinions before my own. I've also let it affect my career choices. I seem to have issues going places when I feel conscious of the fact that people will have a go at the way I look, or what I wear. I know this has to stop but I feel like no one is able to help me. It's good I get to see the psychiatrist although I never have an open mind I rarely do. It's more of a negative one as I find trust a big issue to overcome.

This then holds me back from university. I want to do a journalism course.
    Sorry for going on I just wanted to give you a better picture of where I am at and if anyone can advise any specific tips or anything.
  • Options
    Hi-p3b00w
    I think you are right, that is the main problem with what I do in every situation I over think things to the point I then make drastic decisions which I later have to regret. Thanks for your positive comment :)
  • Options
    Please don't give up. I suffer with long term clinical depression and am 17 years old. If you need to talk to someone, talk to me. My name is Alice. For every negative thought try to think one positive one, a fact that disproves the negative thought that just popped into your head. And read my blog. I write to cheer people up, encourage people and to help people know that they are not alone and that they will eventually get better, and while things are still bad, there are moments that make life worth living. Send me a message, I'm here, even though I don't know you.
  • Options
    Hey Sonia
    Thanks for having the courage to tell us a little bit more - please don't worry about how much detail you go into, there's no word limit to the posts so tell us as much as you feel comfortable to.

It sounds like your Nan's death has really affected you and that you haven't properly dealt with your feelings about it, even though it happened quite a while a go. This isn't anything to be ashamed of - many people repress their feelings of grief, mainly because they don't know how to face them. As you were probably quite young when this happened it was probably really confusing for you too.

I know you say you find it hard to talk to people, but perhaps you would benefit from some kind of counselling about your nan's death. You could have a look at Cruse Bereavement's website and see if you'd feel able to contact them. Their helpline number is 0844 477 9400 - or you could email them if it feels easier: helpline@cruse.org.uk

They also have a site especially for young people.

The other thing that could help is to try to deal with your panic attacks. Are you still having them regularly? Have you ever spoken to your GP about them? If not, it might be a good idea to try and talk to them. You could read Mind's guide to panic and anxiety first to help you understand it a bit better.

Perhaps if you could deal with some of this you'd be able to move forward and even think about that journalism course?
  • Options
    Hey Spanner
    Thank you for your message. Yep I was 16 at the time and had severe panic attacks which landed me in hospital a few times. I was reffered to local child and adolescent places but ended up having problems understanding them I suspect this was my hidden diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome which I was recently diagnosed with. I seem to get in people's way recently. I've come across other people with the same problem yet they have a go at me instead of understanding that I'm going through the same thing. I will definitely check out the links you've given me.
    I am worried, nervous and slightly angry about the psychiatrist appointment tomorrow and don't really feel like going. I'm probably going to have to be dragged there and wait for the worst. Things are NOT looking up at the minute and I'm really afraid that they never will. I try my best in everything I do yet it often backfires. The counselling I've had over the years hasn't helped I've literally left every place due to mis interpretation and lack of communication.
    The sad thing is that people tale advantage of me because I let them not on purpose though but because I'm a easy target or something. On top of that eating and vomiting 4 times a week doesn't help. I've been at home feeling like rubbish. And no one to reach out to but to write my thoughts on here.
    Thank you for your continued support.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you don't like the idea of going to see the psychiatrist. Is this your first session with this person tomorrow or have you seen them before? It's normal to be worried about seeing someone you don't know, but try to remember that it could really help you in the long-term. And just because the other counsellors haven't worked it doesn't mean that this one can't be different.

You might find our guide on how to open up to a counsellor useful to read if you have time - it has lots of good tips from young people.

Are you having any help specifically about your Asperger's? Sometimes just understanding more about the condition will help you to see why you think and feel certain ways.
  • Options
    Hey Spanner
    It's been about two years since I've been seeing a psychiatrist in the same clinic he recently retired and I have been put in the caseload of another locum consultant. I'm really worried about whether he would discharge me or refer me onto the psychologists which I need great help from to overcome this fear of people dying and my panic attacks starting. My heart goes really fast and everything around me is spinning whilst it takes me weeks to recover. My medication might be going up but I fear that three monthly reviews are not enough. Even though I appreciate it I worry that I am not being talked about with what happened to my Nan in 2006. I still remember the last thing she said to me :(
    Thanks for your links. I am willing to wait for as long as it takes for me to wait for therapy but this all depends on whether they actually send me anywhere. My GP always tells me to go back and see the doctors as they can't do anything. I fear that it may result me to give up which is so easy than carrying on sometimes.

In terms of Aspergers, I had a private diagnosis since the NHS couldn't do anything over the last few years so I have got the report and shown my GP who clearly refused to help in front my mum said that I should not come back because its nothing she can sort out. I have a few other difficulties with the Aspergers so wanted someone to help address that to. I do not meet the fair access criteria for social services hence why I am still in mental health departments who say they are not trained in dealing with Aspergers.

I have not been given a CPN or a social worker or anything because I do not have a serious mental health condition. I have a diagnosis of Anxiety and depression.
  • Options
    Did you have your appointment today? How did it go - any news of what they're planning to do next?
  • Options
    Hey Spanner
    Yep went to see the psychiatrist with my mum, however I figured its pre planned they have discharged me because I have been with them for ages and its unfair that my GP is not supportive and that I do not have anyone to talk to about this. It's really worrying to see nothing been done to help support me at all. They have sent a letter to the GP that if my medicine is not working it should be increased. It's unbelievable because this is the only adult mental health team in my area for me and fits my needs. I find it hard to believe that I am being discharged because I have no control over the budget cuts etc. I've not decided to do anything at the moment but feel like the worlds come to a halt.
    In relation to Aspergers they told me to go onto the websites like the NAS which I have already done its pretty sad that services keep passing me on and not do anything. I feel hopeless. I don't even have anyone else I can talk to apart from on here and that is hard for me to speak out. I'm stuck. Thinking things through.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear that Sonia, it sounds like you're feeling like the whole situation is a bit hopeless right now. Did your mum ask any questions about why they have chosen to discharge you - or did you make it clear that you still feel like you need some treatment beyond medication?

I wonder if it would be worth ringing the Mind helpline (tel: 0300 123 3393) to get a bit of advice with how to deal with this. I know it will probably feel like an uphill battle, but you could put in an appeal and say how much you feel you still need talking treatments. This factsheet on complaining about health and social care might also be useful to read. If you're feeling stuck the Mind people might be able to help you through this, I'm sure they've spoken to many others in similar situations so will know how to advise you.

Take care
    *hug*
  • Options
    Thanks Spanner
    I've been let down by the NHS so badly. I'm just so unsure about what I can do. I can't think of any next steps and I thought that the advocate I had was going to help instead she listened to the doctors and thought it was appropriate to signpost me when it can only help so much. I feel awful. I don't feel like doing anything at the moment and don't know who to turn to. My GP is also unreliable as I wished I had somewhere to go and someone to speak about how I was feeling. :/ People just think I need to get a grip or something when that certainly isn't the case. Sorry for going on. I wasn't sure if I was able to post on here again.
  • Options
    Please don't be sorry for posting - you're certainly not 'going on' - you're trying to verbalise how you feel and that's a good thing as it might help you move forwards. I'm sorry you feel like you've reached a dead end, but there will be a way forward, it might just not be apparent yet. Please keep posting here - and do have a think about calling Mind as they might be able to offer you a new perspective.
    *hug*
  • Options
    Hey Spanner
    I've been thinking loads and thought that I may as well make a complaint as I'm sick and tired of being discharged where ever I go. I'm tempted to go to my GP and front it out but I know too well that it will be pointless. If I make a complaint I will know why and if this was all pre planned and just to get rid of me they invited me on a day they don't run clinics. Thank you I find this is the only place where I can write how I feel without being judged or told that I'm stressing over nothing. I'm just annoyed that after being on the list for medication for nearly two years at the psychiatrist they decided to front it out and tell me I'm discharged. :nervous:
    Even though my mum came with me when I talk to her she's reluctant to listen and says that I go on all the time. I feel like everything around me is failing me as a person. :/:confused::no::banghead:
  • Options
    Hi Sonia1 :wave:

did you ever contact Mind as spanner suggested? If you feel let down you have every right to complain, Mind may be able to help advise you how best to take it forward?

dp :heart:
  • Options
    Hi Sonia
    Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, but I wanted to say that's a really positive decision about making a complaint, especially as you feel so fobbed off by the system. I hope it goes well. Like dollypop says, have you got any further with it yet?
  • Options
    Hey
    I rang Mind spoke to someone on the legal team not a lot they could do. I'm trapped it seems. I was told that I can complain which I'm going to but it always ends up in me taking the same step and ending up on square one. The other day I for accused of not bring there for friends and now they won't talk to me. I'm finding it so difficult but no one really understands. As if they did they would have been supportive. I'm thinking of not bothering with anything and staying indoors at least I won't be blamed for anything. I feel hopeless at the moment. Life isn't treating me well. I know other people have problems and its not just me. But they really do hate me. How can someone tell me they don't when they do. As far as I'm concerned I'm a nobody. *sad times*
    Given up because its the easiest thing to do!!
  • Options
    Well done for having the courage to call Mind - I'm just sorry they weren't able to offer you much in the way of practical options for going forward.

It's hard to make close ones fully understand how we're feeling sometimes. Like you said, everyone has their own problems, and sometimes it's so hard to verbalise exactly what's going on in our heads. Like you say, a bit of time apart from the friends who you aren't connecting with very well might be a good idea. You could send them an email explaining that you're feeling really low and just need to be on your own for a bit. Good friendships have a way of coping with these things and resurfacing with time... you might find that happens.

Try to put yourself first, even if it's hard. Big hugs *hug*
  • Options
    I've sent my complaint off to the NHS and they have acknowledged it. I wrote everything that happened and how it affected me. I am still waiting to hear from someone who will be taking my complaint forward. I haven't been seen by anyone in mh and still on 20mg medication. I will keep you updated. Though I'm losing sight of the importance if it all at the moment.