Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Medication- How to speak to my GP about coming off it.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Guys.

I have been on medication for ages now, and I want to come off it. I know this is bad to admit but I haven't been taking the tablets, I have felt okay though. I am keeping myself busy and just finding other ways to deal with things. I am feeling okay. It is also making me wonder about the whole cbt thing, I don't know if I need it. And plus I don't think work will allow me time out of nursery to go to appts, and it's stressing me thinking about it.

I don't know how to approach this subject with my doctor.

Am I making a mistake?

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think it's a good idea to discuss it with your GP and make sure you reduce the dose slowly and monitor yourself to see whether you're going downhill again. It's always something to try, but if things start going bad again there's no harm going back on them.

As for CBT I'd stick it out because you can learn some helpful thought patterns which will stop you from having relapses/make them less likely.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply :)
    Yeah I want to speak to my doctor but I really don't know how to approach the subject with her. I don't want her to tell me that I need to stay on the medication, cos I know that she is a professional therefore her response is important and probably correct. I don't know what to do.
  • Options
    if you have decided against medication then your doctor should respect that and should support you. I really would advise speaking to them about it though, coming off any drugs is risky and you'll need monitoring to make sure you are coping ok. i wouldn't worry about how to raise the issue, just explain your decision and your reasoning.

I agree about sticking with the CBT, because the skills you'd learn would make you more resilient and less likely to need medication. you'd be more able to manage your symptoms as and when they occur and that might mean that you can prevent things getting bad enough for you to need medication again. if you're really concerned about getting time off work then it might be worth asking if the CBT practitioner can do sessions over the phone with you, if you'd be comfortable with that.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Thank you for your reply :)
    Yeah I want to speak to my doctor but I really don't know how to approach the subject with her. I don't want her to tell me that I need to stay on the medication, cos I know that she is a professional therefore her response is important and probably correct. I don't know what to do.
    Just a quick note about Drs being right - they might be able to say what may be best for you objectively, but you know your own body, how you feel and 'feel' what's right. I say this because recently Drs have been pressurising me to come off my medication because I've been on it "too long for my age" but when I did try, I became ill very quickly. So whilst they can advise, it's up to you ultimately.
  • Options
    Thank you. I am at the doctors on tuesday so I will talk to her then.

You have both made valid points. I have a lot to think about.

Plugitin- That must suck, I guess doctors think they know whats best, but like you say the individual knows their own body and their own feelings etc.
  • Options
    I think you should be careful as it was only a week or so ago you were posting in your other thread about how rubbish and desparate you were feeling. if you have had a complete turn around since then and feel fine then by all means tell your doctor you don't want the medication or cbt. but just make sure you don't regret it in another week you're feeling awful again and don't have anything to fall back on. just my
    opinion x
  • Options
    Yeah true. I guess I needed to vent.
    I wont make any rushed decisions and I will speak to my doctor. I am trying to sort my life out and I making changes that will hopefully help my mental health. At the minute I dont notice any change when I am on or off my meds. So just thinking why am I on them?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    A lot of mental health type medication has a longervterm effect, so taking it one day and not taking it the next won't show any real difference - it just won't ever work as well as it might if taken properly.

Talk to your doctor, but be ready to do things gradually. No point upsetting the barrel and putting yourself back several months for the sake of a couple of extra weeks on medication.
  • Options
    Hi ClaireStephanie

I know you posted this a few days ago but I wanted to let you know that there's a really helpful article about coming off antidepressants on TheSite. I'd suggest you read the whole thing, but I wanted to draw your attention to this passage:

"The most important thing is to make sure that you reduce your tablets gradually - if you stop them quickly you're more likely to get withdrawal symptoms. "Withdrawal symptoms will depend on the strength of the medication you are taking - tablets with a shorter duration of effect will generally cause more symptoms," says Dr Newman."

So, like others have said, it's definitely a good idea to talk it through with your doctor as they'll be able to help you reduce your dose safely. You mentioned that you had an appointment booked for today - did you go? How did it go?
  • Options
    Ive come off them, I haven't been taken them for like 4 weeks, and I have made some changes in my life,

I spoke to my doctor about it.
  • Options
    :( Officially want to curl up in a ball and hibernate for a very long time.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why you don't like taking the available medication. Could you explain more about it?
  • Options
    I guess it was how it was starting to affect me as a person being on them. I started my medication a very long time ago, when my life was work, home, work, home. I was really depressed didn't want to do anything and to be quite honest, the only reason why I went to work was cos I had to keep going into work everyday. I was just like a robot, getting on with things, hiding how I was really feeling. Things have changed a lot since then. I volunteer, and do things in my spare time, positive things. I felt like it was the right time to come of my tablets.

I relapsed last night though, after a few months of not doing anything. I feel so angry with myself but I don't want to come back on my medication, cos I generally don't feel in myself like I should be on them anymore, they stopped helping me a long time ago.