Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should I look for help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys
Ive been hiting depression on and off for a few years now, and recently ive turned to cutting my arm, a few of my friends know however i havent told my parents.
I dont think th cuts themselves are too serious but i dont know wether to ask for help or not.
Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Hi there
    Welcome to TheSite, and well done for posting, it's not always easy to open up about such personal matters.

It's good that you feel able to talk to some of your friends about the self-harm. Do you find it helps to talk to them? Sometimes, when you're feeling the urge to self-harm, it can really help if you have a friend you can call or text or email to talk you through it, or even to distract yourself.

Can I ask if there is anything in particular that is making you feel depressed? You ask if you should seek help - perhaps talking things through with your doctor would be a good first step. If you don't feel able to do that just yet, there are some really good helplines that you could call and be totally anonymous and they'll listen without judging or blaming.

Sane runs a mental health helpline on 0845 767 8000.

Also, we run regular support chat sessions here on TheSite - maybe it would help to join one of those and get to know some of the other users here a bit better? The details of all chat sessions are here.

Spanner
  • Options
    Hi

My friends where less help than i thought they would be, i only realy have two who i can really talk to about it.
    Really my depression its just built up over the years as i never communicate with anyone how i feel, however since my school matron as discovered my habit ive had to make the desision to tell my parents so i dont think looking for help is within my power anymore...
  • Options
    Well done for acknowledging the fact that you could use some help with this issue- it really is the first step. Telling your parents will be hard, but they will want the best for you and will really appreciate the fact you feel you can open up. At the end of the day, opening up about it can only help, as it gets it out there and you will start on the right path. Asking them to help you see your GP would be a good first step when you can talk to them about it, as they will be able to refer you to a counsellor and talk to you about the issue from the medical perspective. It should simply involve an assessment, which lets them know how you are feeling and what symptoms you have- ones they will then be able to help you manage.

Do you keep a diary of your feelings? If not then that could be a great way to help you deal with the issue, as you can have an outlet and also try and work through exactly what makes you feel this way. It could also help if you could take this diary with you to a GP or counsellor so you have a record of things you may want to express to them, as it is very easy to miss out things you feel you do want to say, when the time comes and you see them face to face.

Good luck with this. Well done again for being brave and facing the issue, and I hope that you can get the help you need from now and take those first steps to feeling happier again.
  • Options
    Hey there :)
    I've also suffered depression from moderate to severe for quite a long time now and personally believe the sooner you can get help the better. I think its one of them things that the longer you leave it the more work you have to do to get better and change things.
    And self harm is also something i have a lot of experience with and while i understand the dangers i do get that its something that helps most people deal with things like depression.
    I suggest maybe trying some kind of counselling or seeing your gp. I've been in counselling for about 3 years now which has given me support and helped me deal with a lot of past issues. Just some ideas worth considering.