Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

self harm should i tell someone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have recently started self harming again. I havent done for a while, when i started it was just cutting once a day maybe. Now it has got to the stage where I have to cut more to get the same relief I did. I am seeing my CPN tomorrow and really want to confide it her as I want to get the help I need to feel better again.

I'm scared though that she will either force me or want me to go into hospital

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of telling a mental health worker that they were self harming and what the outcome of the discussion was.

thank you

Comments

• Options
    a1ex wrote: »

Hi a1ex. I don't have time for a detailed reply now but wanted to say that if you're self-harming by cutting without intending suicide then you should be taken seriously but unless there are other factors that you haven't mentioned above it's pretty unlikely at this stage that your CPN would push hospital on you.

I hope that helps. I hope you manage to talk to her and that she's supportive. Most are :)
  • Options
    self harm should i tell someone

Of course, you need to tell or discuss with someone to have better solution or idea about the matter. As act like self harm would never considered normal, and are a result of depression, anxiety and might be the psychological problem. Which need to tackle in right way to get out of it.

Fairways Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    http://www.fairwayssupportedliving.com.au/
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.
  • Options
    You won't be chucked in a hospital for self-harm, not if you're not covered head to toe anyway. (Only because my Auntie's, friend's, daughter experienced it that way) Most of the time, they'll want to keep you out of hospital, even though it could be 'safe' in some ways. But if you're not intending as suicide as, Picc says, then I don't think you'd be pushed to hospital.

I've told mental health professions about my self-harm, and they search for the underlying issues and how they're able to help you from doing it, and putting distractions in place.

My CAMHS worker has worker through it with me, and there's been times I've gone a few months without doing it. I'd definitely tell someone though, it will make you feel better in the long run!
  • Options
    Hi Alex

So sorry to hear what a problem self-harming is becoming for you and that you're feeling the need to do it more and more. Has anything in particular happened that has made you feel the need to start again? Sometimes, if something bad happens, or if we're feeling more depressed that usual it can trigger something that makes us revert back to old coping mechanisms.

It sounds like you really want to get help, which is a very positive first step. It's always scary opening up about how we're feeling, but remember that that's what your CPN is for - they will totally understand and should be able to help you find a way through this. Perhaps you could write it down if you're finding it hard to tell them verbally?

I really hope your appointment goes well tomorrow, let us know how you get on.
    *hug*
  • Options
    a1ex wrote: »
    I have recently started self harming again. I havent done for a while, when i started it was just cutting once a day maybe. Now it has got to the stage where I have to cut more to get the same relief I did. I am seeing my CPN tomorrow and really want to confide it her as I want to get the help I need to feel better again.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of telling a mental health worker that they were self harming and what the outcome of the discussion was.

thank you

i'm sorry, yes, you have to tell someone. I have had to tell mental health workers many a time about my self harm relapses- they hopefully won't send you to hospital- they do everything they can to keep people out of hospital, and self harm can be dealt with.

But it is absolutely essesntial that you confide in someone.