Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Agoraphobia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was wondering if anyone sufffers from agoraphobia? i currently do and jst wnted to chat with someone who has been or is going through it. ive never met anyone with it before

thanks

Comments

• Options
    I have been through agoraphobic phases. I spoke to my GP and ended up getting put on some tablets for it, which helped at first but never delt with the route cause. Its worth investigating though.
  • Options
    yeah my gp wants to put me on citalopram bt im not sure, dnt reli like to tke medication. i think i may hav to consider it as i am totally isolated and am practically stuck in my house. thanks for your help
  • Options
    I have agorophobia, I go through times when it is worse and times when it is better. I have other conditions as well as it all relates for me. I know citalopram is meant to be one of the best antidepressants for anxiety so it might be worth a go?
  • Options
    I would try therapy first - it can be a slippery slope to take medication without having therapy alongside or trying it first.
  • Options
    Yeah i already have therapy so bith would prob be alrite ill have a wrd wi my dr on wednesdy thankz
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I would try therapy first - it can be a slippery slope to take medication without having therapy alongside or trying it first.

Actually, there are a range of schools of thought on this. Some say that getting to a more stable place on meds and then coming off them during therapy (to allow you to access the emotions the meds tend to suppress) is a better way to do it.

So it's really down to what your doctor recommends in each individual case. But, a1ex, medication isn't a cop-out or an easy answer, don't think of it as giving in. You're doing really well to get help. :)
  • Options
    thanks piccolo

I think i will try the medication as I have been tryign therapy on its own for two years now and things have only got worse. The only thing that worries me about the citalopram is the side effects but I suppose it would be worth it to feel slightly normal again.