Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Poop!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Totally awkward question :p When is the appropriate time to go to a doctor for constipation? I've gone once in 3 weeks - and that was only after taking a laxative. It seems so trivial and stupid, but I've tried everything else and the pill was my last resort. That was a week ago and nothing since then. I've been doing lots of other things to help to no avail in the mean time. Tons o fiber, greasy food, spicy food, tons of water, coffee...

Oddly enough, I don't feel bloated or uncomfortable at all.

Comments

• Options
    You should go now. It could be nothing, but it could be something more sinester. Either way healthy pooping should happen I think once or twice a day. Not being able to go without a laxative for 3weeks is v bad news.
  • Options
    Any changes to your normal pattern are something to be concerned about, but (while it was a while ago) I think anything up to 5 days was considered to be "within the normal range" so probably best to get checked
  • Options
    i would certainly try and get advice about it if youve tried everything else.

are you on any medication?
  • Options
    I'm sure the doctor won't mind. They deal with awkward and embarrassing things every day. It's better to get it checked out, just to be safe, because in the off chance it could be something serious, it could get worse if it's not treated.
  • Options
    Thanks folks. No change in diet (though god knows I need one... as my pants begin to cut the circulation off from my feet). No new pills, no changes at all, and I usually go once or twice a week. I don't mind going to the doc for it, but it is just a hassle, so I wanted to gauge where the poop emergency and poop hypochondriac lines were :p
  • Options
    If you can get something called picolax over the counter (to my surprise you can get it over here) thats what they give you before a colonoscopy in hospital and that really clears you out. But I'd be worried that your intestines aren't moving as they should be if you've only gone once in 3 weeks, so yeah drs now would be a good shout.

Let us know how you get on :)